• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Ping + BF2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chevro1et

Hey,
Playing with the new patch (v1.2) last night and I couldn't get my ping below 100... fps were pretty good (45+), but would encounter some random lag not only at the start of the match, but sometimes during as well. Any tips/tricks for reducing ping (besides choosing a different server)? I use a router and have not opened any of the ports that you *supposedly* need to open to play BF2 online.

Cheers.

Right from the modem to your Nic card, ditch the router to improve your ping. I got me a little CAT.5e inline coupler that I can connect up when I need to increase my Ping. Got it from Radio Shack, it was cheep couple bucks.

An adequate router will add a very minimal amount of latency to your connection. Small enough it isn't worth the hassle to not have one connected 24/7. I actually just use a cisco switch and a pii-233 box for my 'router'. The best thing you can do to improve your latency is switch to a better network. You truly get what you pay for in this regard. Just remember a bigger pipe guarantees absolutely nothing when it comes to reliability and latency.

huh i was laying today and it jumpped to 400+! i still dont know whats up with my ****ty net!

I picked up the new DOCSIS motorola modem for my cable internet today (free tradeup w my isp) and I will see if that hepls at all...

Cheers.

Back