• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF2- Ping is real high.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, just logged onto BF2 before I go out for supper and my ping is back up to 225! Connected my other router and pings are still high. I think I has an ISP problem here, had this problem e few years ago and it took a complaint to the BBB and 6 months before it was resolved! Got to love Charter....

But directly to the modem is fine. And thats exactly what the cable company will tell you. As soon as you mention the word "router" they are going to frown and point fingers right at it.

But directly to the modem is fine. And thats exactly what the cable company will tell you. As soon as you mention the word "router" they are going to frown and point fingers right at it.

I know, but I've been using a router for 8 years in this house without a problem. I actually have less computers running than I used to, my daughter is away at school and I'm down about two computers. I really have never seen this other than that one time a few years ago, and nothing has really changed that's why this is bothering me so much. Anyway, the last thing I will do is call charter customer service again, I'm going to have to wait for Fios to become available in my area which was supposed to be 4 months ago. I can't wait to **** can charter.

Just played for an hour and my ping was @22, weird! I really can't figure out whats going on here. I'm going to try a couple different servers now.

Routers, as with all computer components....have a tendency to go bad or just die off. I pulled my hair out over an internet connectivity issue at my last job....until I replaced the Linksys and it fixed it instantly.

If you like Infantry Only games, our server is 5th in the world. Located in NY.
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/64.34.184.46:16567/

Yeah, but it seems strange that the two routers I have don't work well. I've got a WRT54G and a WRT54GX and I get the same type of ping from both routers.

I don't mind infantry only maps but I prefer vehicles, most of the servers out there run infantry only now anyway. Thanks for the link, I'll pop on tonight (If my router allows) and check it out.

Well, I know this might sound weird but I think my issue is resolved. Is it possible that the wireless router could be affected by electrical wires? I was racking my brain trying to figure out what has changed. The modem and router used to sit on a book shelf in the cellar and I recently took the book shelf out. I put the modem and router on a post that is right next to the main beam that carries all my wires to the circuit panel. I actually had the antennas wrapped up in the wires to keep it from falling over. Today I moved the modem and router to another shelf a few feet away and my pings are holding a steady 23 like they used to! Is it possible that romex wiring can affect a wired connection?

were you gaming over wireless?

then yes
..lol

wireless is affected if running on channle 6, default by 2.4Ghz phones, walls, wires, micrwaves and ALL other wireless networks running on channel 6. Like all devices wireless devices as told by the FCC have to allow a certain level of interference to pass through it woth out affecting it.v

first thing to do when setting up wireless is use any channel other then 6, 1, 9 anything but 6!

also wireless gaming dont go well together for the simple fact of how wireless works, in sending data in bursts, not constant streaming.

were you gaming over wireless?

then yes
..lol

wireless is affected if running on channle 6, default by 2.4Ghz phones, walls, wires, micrwaves and ALL other wireless networks running on channel 6. Like all devices wireless devices as told by the FCC have to allow a certain level of interference to pass through it woth out affecting it.v

first thing to do when setting up wireless is use any channel other then 6, 1, 9 anything but 6!

also wireless gaming dont go well together for the simple fact of how wireless works, in sending data in bursts, not constant streaming.

No, I am on a wired connection. I never game on a wireless connection. And I always change the channel from 6, my house is full of electronics and cordless phones. I haven't had a problem since I moved it, I'll move it back this weekend and see if i can duplicate the issue.

mmm, then maybe just being so close to those wires, which may not be insulated gave enough interference to scew with your signal, i certainly wouldnt entangle the attena's in the cables to hold it up.

mmm, then maybe just being so close to those wires, which may not be insulated gave enough interference to scew with your signal, i certainly wouldnt entangle the attena's in the cables to hold it up.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. It's fine now and has been for a week.

Does this happen with any other games?

Yes all of them, the BF2 servers I play on kick you when your ping hits 200 so I could't play that game for long.

Back