• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fdisk: 62MB HDD? Incorrect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Hey everyone, I'm currently in the Gentoo x86 LiveCD (this is so cool! I'm on OCF!!!)

Anyawy, I ran into the problem of my HDD. This comp is real old (AMD K6-2), and the HDD is supposed to be 8GB big, it has Windows98 on it. I figured I would be able to use fdisk inside the LiveCD in order to delete the partition, but Gentoo doesn't recognize any partitions, nothing. All it says is that the sectors are 2048 instead of 512, and that the HDD is only 62MB large...it's really weird.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Is it recognized correctly in the BIOS? It might not be able to recognize the whole disk since the computer is old, unless you use an overlay.

Well, I'm off it, I gave up for the night, I'll have to try it some other time.

I'll check tomorrow if it shows in BIOS, thanks!

Too old, there has to be a line drawn in the sand as to what a distro can support hardware wise. Fact of life, get over it. I've known a lot of distros are dropping support for OLD hardware and I don't blame them.

jajmon said:
Too old, there has to be a line drawn in the sand as to what a distro can support hardware wise. Fact of life, get over it. I've known a lot of distros are dropping support for OLD hardware and I don't blame them.

It's a K6-2...I didn't think it wasn't gonna be supported, hmm...I'll have to read up.

jcw122 said:
It's a K6-2...I didn't think it wasn't gonna be supported, hmm...I'll have to read up.

Almost 10 years old is the K6,,,the below is taken from this

http://www.tomax7.com/aplus/computers_timeline.htm

"1997
Intel introduces the MMX chip.
The Intel Pentium II 233 MHz processor is released.
////AMD introduces the K6 processor./////
Advanced Graphics Port or AGP design is released.
Cyrix is established.
DVDs go on sale.
Microsoft announces Windows 98."

It isn't too old to be supported by Linux at all!! Please don't post false information, I am running Linux on a number of old Pentium's from 75-200Mhz without any problems. As hardware support is decided mostly by the kernel and not the individual distribution, if one distribution can support some piece of hardware, any can. The only problem you may find is when a distro is compiled for say i686 and your using an i586 chip for example.

As for the hard disk issue, was it being recognised by the BIOS to be the correct size? Also are you starting fdisk on the correct device? i.e 'fdisk /dev/hda'

Flamed_Chip said:
It isn't too old to be supported by Linux at all!! Please don't post false information, I am running Linux on a number of old Pentium's from 75-200Mhz without any problems. As hardware support is decided mostly by the kernel and not the individual distribution, if one distribution can support some piece of hardware, any can. The only problem you may find is when a distro is compiled for say i686 and your using an i586 chip for example.

As for the hard disk issue, was it being recognised by the BIOS to be the correct size? Also are you starting fdisk on the correct device? i.e 'fdisk /dev/hda'

Gentoo Linux has a i386 minimum spec. for the processor, I doubt there's a problem with that, cause K6-2 is i586.

Anyway, I'm away, I'll have to figure out what BIOS says whne I get back. That or I'll boot into Windows and see what it tells me.

Back