• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shin Etsu X23-7783D testing and thoughts.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
first let me say this is being done on a laptop so things that apply to desktop systems may not apply here.so testing and such will seem odd.
fans change speed at set temp points and that scews max temps.

this is being done on a dell i6000 with a 735 dothan thats been pinmodded too 2.26ghz and overvolted too 1.388v its small but was necessary for stability.

i had been useing radio shack white grease due to running out of as5
temps would max at 62c with fans on high and were set to kick in at 55c
this was a little too high for my liking.

i made a thread shortly after asking what i could try besides as5 as ive always used it but im always adventerous.
i was advised to try Shin Etsu X23-7783D that can be found here:http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=325489

ill also add dealing with GBR was a pleasant experiance.
i also read his guide on how to apply this stuff since its much thicker than as5.i used a heating pad set on high for about 10 minutes to make it spread easier.i then used the tape method to get an even thin layer.

as i said before my temps with teh RS silicone were 62c max with fans tripped to high at 55c
now my temps after this application are 52c,thats a 10c drop!
i am also told this stuff has a cure time of about the same as5 and temp drops will be even more dramtic than as5 after the cure.

ill be running prime95 for several hours at a time and shut it off for a cool down.this will cycle the cureing and hopefully make the cure time shorter.

i cant comment on idle temps yet,mine is set to max perfomance 2.26ghz while on ac.but i will test it when set to max battery wich is 800mhz .74v soon.

ty for everyone help in finding this serynge of gold :)

MaStA said:
Very nice.
yes it is ty!

i really expected more responce about this compound as i think its even better than as5.
doesnt anyone care about lower temps anymore? lol

i know my methods of obtaining any results were done scientific like but was good enough to see how good this stuff is.

deathstar13 said:
yes it is ty!

i really expected more responce about this compound as i think its even better than as5.
doesnt anyone care about lower temps anymore? lol

i know my methods of obtaining any results were done scientific like but was good enough to see how good this stuff is.

I think results have shown it was better than AS5 before, but the price of it is pretty outrageous if I remember correctly.

Jared

MaStA said:
I think results have shown it was better than AS5 before, but the price of it is pretty outrageous if I remember correctly.

Jared
wasnt bad,$6.33 shipped for 1 gram syringe. i did my cpu and my gpu which i did twice and it has a shim which i have to do both sides,so i did 5 applications and still have half a syringe left.
well i actually have 1 and 1/2 since i bought 2 total.

this stuff would really be good for phase change where as5 isnt recomended.

im just suprised people arent more excited about this stuff.
i think it has to do with availabilty more than price.ive only seen mabey 3 or 4 places that carry it on the web.

further updates are in.
after 3 days of cure time,a few hours of prime95 to help it along i now have this as full load temps,the temp is circled.

temps1.jpg

this is a full 13c drop in temps over the white silicone,best as5 ever did for me was 6c drop over the white gunk.
im not sure if it drop further but ill post back if it drops even less.

Welcome to the light my friend. :D

Your improvement in temps is impressive. Might drop even more once you have
gone through a few more thermal cycles.

Not sure what to think about the 7 degree drop from AS5. Was that AS5 temp a
single app or an average from several applications? If the former it might have more to
do with how it was applied. Don't get me wrong. SE is great stuff and my personal preference.
Has always given me the best results. But I don't think it is that much better. In any event
you are enjoying lower temps which is what matters.

In my humble opinion the lack of responces is a good thing. There was a time when
you stood the chance of being slammed if you said anything besides AS5 performed well.
Trust me I know. :-/
To be perfectly honest, I saw your post but decided to wait a couple days to see how
things went in that regard. Good to see things have cooled off (pun intended).

Last edited:
I use ShinEtsu now too. Same board same cooler. Fresh application got me the same temps as a burnt in application of AS5. Then it went down in temps from there.

the as5 referance was from my experiances in useing it and comparing it in other pc's
i didnt have any as5 to even test on this laptop.but the max i ever seen it go lower than the white stuff was 6c lower.

i did have some as5 on my video cooler tho,and i swapped it with the shin etsu,but at the same time i changed the shim i was useing but im seeing a 4-5c drop over what the as5 was doing.this isnt a fair comparision since i changeg the shim i was useing.
but worth mentioning none the less.

i wish i had the ability and patience to do a full scientific testing thread.
but i dont think it would show things any differant than what ive posted so far.
but as i said i dont have anymore as5 and also im not willing to pull my cpu cooler off anymore,i put silicone tubing on it and replaced the springs for more tension.
this is causing tiny chips to occur when i mount it repeatedly.so its just not worth destroying a great ocing cpu for a few tests.

Can say with a good degree of certainty X23-7783D is like Ceramique in that regard.
That being neither electrically conductive nor capacitive. In fact, certain
SE blends are AMD approved unlike most high performance thermal pastes.

For those who may have trouble finding Shin Etsu pastes, here is a lynk to the
seller "GBR" that deathstar mentioned above.

P. S. - Did not mean for it seem I was dissing your results deathstar. Quite the contrary!
Was just a bit surprised at the difference in temps is all.

-------------------------
legal crap :
This poster has no affiliation with the seller above, or any thermal paste manufactuer and
receives no compensation. All views expressed within are solely the opinion of the poster.

Last edited:
That's some interesting findings, Deathstar. I would like to see some results done on a desktop system though so that the testing could be controlled better since you can switch off any fan speed control on a desktop system.

I might have to try this stuff out myself and see how it performs compared to AS5. I will be messing around with cooling on my Opti system when I get back in from work in a week or so installing a Big Typhoon, so it would be a good time to experiemnt with this Shin Etsu.

BTW Deathstar, are you still folding?:)

no its not capacitive or conductive,and only one other maker of compound is amd aproved besides shin etsu.this was already said im just repeating for its true.
not that amd always knows best but they are right this time.

i know you wasnt questioning my findings,i was the one doing it.
ive done several forums type reviews and know what factors to isolate to keep the findings as true as possible.this just isnt possible without excess hassle this time.
i try and be as accurate as possible anytime i make a statement.if there is a flaw to be had ill try and point it out first so im being as objectional as possible.

muddocktor-you ll ove the typhoon i know i did when i used it.best cooler around imo.well was 8 months ago when i tested it.
no im not folding anymore.i only have a laptop atm and im not interested in having 100% cpu usage when cooling isnt the greatest in these things.
but i have been folding some to increase heat and help cure this compound.
prime just is wasted cycles imo,so i try and make it count somewhere.

gbr is great to deal with guys.fast emails and shipping also.
also order at least 2 tubes,they are 1oz serynges and if you mess around alot switching cpus it goes fast.
also i heated mine up with a heating pad which worked great.

Hmm, that's very interesting. I may just have to pick up a tube to play with. Thanks for the info guys

Joe

I use it in my desktop system and for my gpu. It works great for me and is much easier to clean off than as5.

I've had a syringe of this stuff for about 2 months now ordered off ebay. I have both Shin-etsu and AS5 waiting to be used on my new watercooling system. I'm leaning towards using the shinetsu since it doesn't stick like glue to remove it from the cpu. I would like to know the correct application method of this product.

aplication method:http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=230649&highlight=Shin+Etsu

where to buy if anyone missed it:http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=325489

btw i have no connection with anyone selling this stuff,im just an end user like anyone here.and was pointed to this in another thread.

also ill add i did my warming with a heating pad,it gets hotter and faster.
dont work with it too much it will get cold and thick and just be unusable.
it sounds hard to apply but was really easy even for me doing it the first time.

and yes it did clean off easy compared to as5,i really dont have much issue cleaning either tho as i use acetone and lighter fluid,well one or the other it just depends on which works better.but having both of those ive never failed at removeing compounds completly.

Back