• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free PC Technician Test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
also turns out there are quite a few tests there you can take for free.

you DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE CERTIFICATE! You CAN e-mail the results to potential employers, though.

i'm about to take this test, i want the certificate if i pass. are they a trusted site with cc info?

hehe i failed, you know why... because the questions are so out of date i cant even remember any more :) I cant even remember the last time i saw a modem or a scaner that used the parellel port.

infinitevalence said:
hehe i failed, you know why... because the questions are so out of date i cant even remember any more :) I cant even remember the last time i saw a modem or a scaner that used the parellel port.

Meh if you're a Comp Tech you see this stuff all the time, still I know exactly what you mean. Good for a refresher though heh *Ding* "Oh yeah I remember this!" Kind of odd some mobos today don't even have a parallel port anymore, just a crap load of USB ports.

I would see more of this if i repaired systems, but I spend most of my time building high end systems so 80% of this stuff is old tech to me :) We dont even build single processor workstations at work any more, most systems are SMP, and have only 1 PCI slot the rest are PCIe and PCIx.

Yeah alot of this is old tech, but it still has use in some jobs such as mine. 3 weeks ago I had to wrestle with some microscanning equipment that - get this - booted DOS and ran win 3.1. I had to not only get a parallel zip drive to run on it properly, but also had to diagnose some hardware errors that showed up when the machine was moved to another station. It works now :D

For this test, I'm in the top 96%. It's not great, but good considering I'm half asleep and I took it in like 15 minutes :p

Beginner said:
i'm about to take this test, i want the certificate if i pass. are they a trusted site with cc info?
Yes. I took one of their IQ tests awhile ago.

hmm.... i've failed 2 so far... all the others i get SUPER high marks on.... (i failed networking concepts and NT concepts... LOL)

Not long, it's multiple choice. I took the 40 minute tests in 15 minutes.

Just took the XP test too, I made top 97%. I'm really bored here at work LOL

I got a 45... I don't feel too bad, since I did better than 68% of people who took it, but I still failed... I hate old technology... And it was even stupider that they were asking about stupid things like abbreviations, which don't affect your ability to repair a computer in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER!!

I hear ya man, totally. But Like I said, I still run into this stuff in the industry, and I have to support it whether I want to tell them to upgrade or not. Alot of this is proprietary equipment that doesn't exsist anymore, and upgrades aren't possible. You gotta just get it up and going so the engineers/techs can continue their work.

Back