• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLZ HELP! Internet Connection keeps getting cut off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathScyth_Hell

I've read most of the thread that can help me with this problem but with no result. So Im writing my own post to see if anyone can help.

My network setup is like this:
I use a Microsoft MN-700 router.
Right now I've set my router ip to static (it was dynamic before but i thought putting it to static will solve the problem but it didn't)
I've set the DHCP to enable in my router and the lease time to 2 weeks
I've set the network settings on my computer to dynamic (i.e. "Obtain ip address automatically" and the same for the DNS)

Now, the problem:
My internet cuts off on average 4 times a day. However, my torrents are still d/l when the internet gets cut off only my internet explorer isn't working and my msn. I know that my internet is off when Internet explorer says "finding msn.com" and not do anything until the "Page cannot be displayed" page comes up, but again the torrents will still d/l. I will have to reset the router by unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in for my internet to work again.

I've read stuff about static and dynamic ip's but it didn't really help. This problems been going on for a year now...and i still don't know how to fix it. If anyone can help its greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It may be the torrents and your router not being able to handle it? But if they keep downloading....

Interesting problem. Who is your ISP? Have you had connection problems before?
It sounds more like a DNS issue rather than your internet connection is broken. In the router, are they primary and secondary DNS server IPs setup?

So both dynamic and static work?

How old is your home router? Do you have more than 1 computer on your network? If so then does it happen for all computers?

are there any logs for this?

i would consider running a traert and see what your ping times are. i have a feeling this is an isp issue and not a router issue. especially if your router is solid state (harddrive less). if your pings rise or there is a major bottle neck that should be the problem.

i have charter high speed and we had some problems on their end. it took a couple of phone calls and email my traces to them, but the issue was sorted out.

BIG_BALLER:
My ISP is rogers and i had some problems with them before but i think they fixed it.
Yes both static and dynamic work. I have 2 comps on my network and 1 wireless laptop connected sometimes. My router is about 2 years old. When the internet is cut it happens to both computers. My DNS is obtained automatically.

Fuzz_Bunny:
I dunno if theres a log for this. What's a traert?

Back