• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

800XL (PCI-E) power question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

The box says that external power is not required but the card has a place for a six pin power connector. I guess it is advisable to use it? I'm getting the Seasonic S12-600RT PSU so I'm guessing that there will be a cable. One of the Cons on the review were that there were so many cables.

Mine didn't come with a power connector and it worked fine...... I doubt you'll need it for the card to function however I've seen a few cases where the card didn't work without it. You should be able to RMA if the card doesn't work without the plug and it didn't come standard with the card.

HousERaT said:
Mine didn't come with a power connector and it worked fine...... I doubt you'll need it for the card to function however I've seen a few cases where the card didn't work without it. You should be able to RMA if the card doesn't work without the plug and it didn't come standard with the card.

But will it work better if it has more juice? I don't know why they'd add an input for power and then not use it.

the reference design I think called for it on the dual vivo cards that were out back in the day. I don't know if anyone is still making those cards but it looks like the plug has managed to survive.

I had a X800XL PCIe a while ago with a 6pin power connector. If the power cable wasn't connected, the boot screen would say something to the extent of PLEASE CHECK THAT POWER IS SUPPLIED TO VIDEO CARD, and you wouldn't be able to go any farther until the cord was plugged in.

The PCI-E slot can easily provide enough of the good stuff (W) for an X800XL :). One of the PCI-E slot's advantages over AGP is its greater power capacity. Some enthusiast motherboards have even been designed with special consideration to this capacity, and are equipped with even higher wattage PCI-E slots, intended for "rigourous" SLI use. I'm afraid an Aux connector likely won't make it clock any better.

There are standard models of the X800XL that were designed and sold without auxillary power connectors - and to my knowledge, their vast quantities (for the most part :p) work flawlessly :).

IWasHungry

I had a X800XL PCIe a while ago with a 6pin power connector. If the power cable wasn't connected, the boot screen would say something to the extent of PLEASE CHECK THAT POWER IS SUPPLIED TO VIDEO CARD, and you wouldn't be able to go any farther until the cord was plugged in.

Sounds like your model will need the cable to boot though... that warning error is probably built into the BIOS of card's equipped with aux Connectors in their standard to prevent possible damage to the card.

Your PSU should have it, most newer ones do :).

Back