• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOSFET cooling - Testing shows it helps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iamjcl

I know this isn't news, but I have had issues with heat on 3 P5WD2-E boards. They work, but they work better with some cooling on those things, and esp. some sinks.

Here is a screenshot of Vcore over about an hour of loaded conditions, via SpeedFan, with the blue arrow showing when a 50mm fan, aimed at the Vcore mosfets (top edge of board) went from 1000 RPM to 4500 RPM.

No sinks on the MOSFETS for this test.

CPU temps are a bit high as I have the watercooling fans on low for testing how high the CPU will run at these settings.

Attachments

• FET cooling and Vcroe.JPG
    FET cooling and Vcroe.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 196
...And here is about 35 minutes or so with ChipSinks, using the adhesive pads included, not epoxy.

Blue mark is where fan goes from 1K RPM to 4.5K.

Attachments

• MOSFET Sinked fan no fan.JPG
    MOSFET Sinked fan no fan.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 181
WOW, those are some darn good results! I want to do it. Exactly what MOSFETS where you sinking\putting fan on, some pics would be great.

RangerXLT8 said:
WOW, those are some darn good results! I want to do it. Exactly what MOSFETS where you sinking\putting fan on, some pics would be great.

i want to see the setup

Last edited:
wait just a cotton picking minute...
where the photos of the inside of your case? I want to se what kind of ramsinks you are using.

Last edited:
Check this out, watercool the CPU MOSFETs on you P5WD2, I seriously might do this. Middle of the week I'm going watercooling again so maybe I'll pick one of these up....

Out for a few days, but will try to get some photos. Its the 4 groups of 2 sinks each, at the top edge of the board (right under the PSU).

- Chris

Come to think of it, something is pretty weird because the P5WD2 uses 6 phase power, 3 pairs of Mosfets. Only 2 pairs are located at the top edge of the board supply 1.5v. The other pair on the top edge is for "switchable" 12 v. It would be rediculous to have the other Vcore pair under the sink in back of the parallel port, but you never know..

I have a backup board here and can pull off the sink and check out exactly which mosfets supply Vcore and get back with pics if anyone's interested.

proth said:
Come to think of it, something is pretty weird because the P5WD2 uses 6 phase power, 3 pairs of Mosfets. Only 2 pairs are located at the top edge of the board supply 1.5v. The other pair on the top edge is for "switchable" 12 v. It would be rediculous to have the other Vcore pair under the sink in back of the parallel port, but you never know..

I have a backup board here and can pull off the sink and check out exactly which mosfets supply Vcore and get back with pics if anyone's interested.
yes please, thanks

iamjcl said:
Out for a few days, but will try to get some photos. Its the 4 groups of 2 sinks each, at the top edge of the board (right under the PSU).

- Chris

great thanks

The reason why I am asking is that I am just about to buy a better PSU with ATX12V (AKA 8 plug version for the P5WD2-E)

Back