• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what would cause this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bamaboy

when ever i get even a little bit of overclock, say 495 and 1.12ghz(485 and 1.1 stock) the card will do this stuff in games, now i just leave it stock and it works great stock but just chilling around why does it do this and it 3dmark if i over clock i get a lot of flashing black triangles and stuff, and the framerate drops, its usually up higher then it starts doing this and it drops

:shrug: it dosent really matter i just want to know why some peoples cards do better, people say theirs auto's at like 530 mine is at 508ish
its a xfx XXX edition 6800gs pci ex

That, my man, is what is known as artifacting due to an unstable overclock. Looks to me like unstable core clocks mostly, as unstable mem OCs usually look like snow. Better cooling *may* improve this, but no guarantee. I guess you keep 'er at XXX stock speeds.

Cheers.

just sitting here in windows is 42c, ive seen it at 51c but dont remember when

so its the temperature? because ven a little over stock will start it, so i have a dud card?

bamaboy said:
just sitting here in windows is 42c, ive seen it at 51c but dont remember when

so its the temperature? because ven a little over stock will start it, so i have a dud card?
sucks mine does 540/140 when i have my zalman on fastest speed , but i keep it at 520/120 on silent mode :).

sucks how it does that with just a tiny bump of oc.

ur running fraps with that? maybe fraps is messing it up try without fraps on if thats what ur using to see fps on top right

yea i use fraps, some times i can turn it up and it will play, like on fear i was playing about 10-15 mins before that, then i turned around and it started doing it, its done it on BF2 i think also

nemisi said:
records video when playing a game its a nice program, you can try the trial, but you have to buy it it u want to record more than like 30 secs or something like that

Hey, your card runs fine at stock speeds, right? Well then, you got what you paid for. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that anything above and beyond stock settings will be stable. Take that for what it's worth.

Cheers.

i would definately tone the settings down to stock speeds. I had this problem on an old X700 PRO and burnt the GPU to bits. Watch out you dont void your warranty!

Back