• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to fit slim cd-rom drive into tower case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have never done this but are you sure it will even connect to the motherboard? Does it use standard IDE/molex power? I've taken lots of laptops apart and they don't use the same connector for data/power.

I also know nutting about doing that... however... more then likely it use the same type of coonection as a laptop hardrive which means you will need a 2.5-3.5 converter. (I know the optical drive is the same width as a normal optical drive .. .but hte point is.. .why would a laptop use 2 different IDE technologies on the same board? It must use the same type of connection as the Laptop Harddrives )

If you can pull her HDD and compare.. .yo ucan save yourself some money and just buy a new DVD burner for your PC. The adapters cost as much as a DVD burner.
(cheapest I have seen was 25 dollars for the converter... and my DVDburner (DRU-700A) I picked up on ebay for 24 bones :)

Using the smaller IDE is most likely wha t is the case...

JTOMA

yeah save yourself the time and frustraction and buy yourself a new one from the egg. they have gone wayy down in price and are very affordable now

yea this came out of a vaio. It's weird because I couldn't classify this machine as a laptop or a computer. It was like a hybrid of both. But a cd-rom drive that looked very similar to that one in the newegg link and came with a convertor It uses the tiny 4-pin connector to connect to the PSU and connects to the motherboard with the same IDE cable that is used for HDDs and normal cd-rom drives.

Back