• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel P4 3.0 Socket 478 (30-capper) help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tosberg34

Here's the skinny:
I have a 3.0ghz that I've managed to overclock to 3.75. I have the FSB pushed up to 250mhz(1:1). The default voltage (vcore) of the cpu was 1.475. I've upped that to 1.6. I have pc4000 (ocz platinum eb) memory @ 3-2-3-7 @ 2.8v. I have several questions to ask because i have to understand where I may be going wrong.
1) What is the MAX voltage for this CPU?
2) I never crash out of any programs with this setting, yet when I run prime95, stress prime 2004 they always err out (cpu, ram, and blend tests). Shouldn't my RAM at pc4000 be able to handle it's default settings (which they are) without erring out? Even memtest86 errs after a while at this setting.
3) Do I need to use the memory divider? and if so, what setting?

Thanks for helping a somewhat noob!

1)The absolute MAX is usually said to be 1.7, but most people don't recommend pushing it above 1.65.
2)It could also be the CPU, that produces the errors. Windows itself and most programs can handle few misscalculations without crashing, but those programs you mention do calculations and store data in the memory and then check if the data was calculated/stored correctly.
3)To single out the memory from the equation you could test 5:4(333) or even the 3:2(266) memory divider.

I have the same chip and tops out around 250 FSB. Try Sen's Burnin Guide (in the general cpu section) and see if it helps any. That's what I'm doing.

aye im suffering the same problem with a similar overclock funnly enough. i know its not my ram as ive tested it at its default 250fsb before , so given that the coolings fine im in the same situation as you with the core voltage needing increasing lots :D , unfortuantly ive got an asus p4p800se as ya see on my siggy and the v-core fluctuates considerably from idle to load as all p4p800's do :/

Back