• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD64 Intermittant Startup (vCore?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teque5

AMD64 Intermittant Startup (All Help Appreciated)

Delving through the forums didn't seem to yeild any real great answers so here goes:

When I start up my comp, it only actually gets to bios and post every 1/6 times or so. When i check the notifier LEDs on my MSI Mainboard it reads: Processor Initialization error. In the overclocking guide i have been following A64 Guide it says this is when i should raise my Vcore. With this i was only met with minor success. Beyond 233x9 (about) i simply have to reset CMOS and start over.

I have heard that intermittant startups are NOT due to ram and the PSU is to blame. I dont think thats my prob. tho b/c im running a 450watt system.

Am i doing something wrong? Am i missing some setting in BIOS?
I have adequate cooling w/Zalman CNPS9500LED and core is 44C running Prime95 for 4hrs. Once i can get it started it seems stable...

My HT Multiplier is @ 3x
My ram Divider is @ 200:133 (150mhz)
Memory set to 1T (dunno why)

CPU: Winchester 3000+ running @ 230x9
Vcore: 1.63 (i think this is too high)
Mem: 2x512 Corsair DDR
MB: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
BIOS: v1.B (latest)
PSU: 450Watt Antec SmartPower
HD: Dual 160sata (Raid1) Western Digital

Any Ideas? :shrug: Im just starting out, but i wanted to see what i could get out of my beast. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion!!
What are your existing Memory Timings because they might be too tight for your system?? Suggest to run Memtest86 or similar to verify your Memory is O.K. by booting to "MemTest86" first prior to booting to Windows OS! :rolleyes:

current timings are 2.5-2-2-6
in comparison to others this does seem a bit speedy for my value-ram
thanks man - ill try manually turning down values if memtest ****s up
ill run in the morning tho and report back - advanced engineering calc hurt brain

no help yet

Memtest98 ran w/o problems..
i will adjust my timings and try booting but does anyone else have any ideas?

Teque5 said:
Memtest98 ran w/o problems..
i will adjust my timings and try booting but does anyone else have any ideas?

How long you have run MemTest96 for?? From experiences you have to run your PC for over an hour at least to cover satisfactory memory-test cycles!! Besides your previous memory timings did look too aggressive for "value-rams" though.

Just loosen up the memory timings for the moment in order to see if your memory is the real problem. Honestly, I believe that is where the problem is. Trying to run valueram at too high a frequency with those small timings creates problems like the ones you are experiencing. I don't believe what is happening could be attributed to a power supply.

wow that worked great guys - running at 2.5-3-3-8 now and problems have mostly disappeared - thanks all

I have a similar problem with mine - it gets as far as the Windows XP startup screen and the scrolly thing just goes round and round and it never boots into windows. this is wierd, seeing as it never did it before i did a reinstall :/

fordsierra4x4 said:
I have a similar problem with mine - it gets as far as the Windows XP startup screen and the scrolly thing just goes round and round and it never boots into windows. this is wierd, seeing as it never did it before i did a reinstall :/

Yours could be a different story! Return ALL to Stocks if you're overclocking, and try again! In particular your memory timings, don't initially push it too hard unless the rest of your system are stable enough.

fordsierra4x4 said:
I have a similar problem with mine
ya i think you just pushed your htt too far buddy - your windows is supposed to not load up when that happens

Teque5 said:
ya i think you just pushed your htt too far buddy - your windows is supposed to not load up when that happens

what do you mean? he's running 270*3.. well within normal htt spec. also, generally if its a CPU problem it will altogether freeze, or at least reboot.. sounds to me like RAM is a culprit in his case. occassionally if your ram is set too high, you will either get an error message during boot up saying that X file is corrupt and needs reinstalling, or the bar will just go on and on cause the rams decided to crap itself and idle.. lol anyway, OT. so your pc is now fixed? it was the ram timings after all?

Careface*

Back