• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is there no upgrade to MCE 2005

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Josheyy

Registered
I currently own windows xp professional and an xbox 360 and i noticed that if I want to play my movies on my xbox through my computer I have to have Windows Media Center. I thought to myself alright, no problem ill just purchase a simple upgrade but sure enough when i reach the Windows website they inform me that the only way to get a copy of WMCE is to purchase a new computer with it And i dont want to do that. Do i just have to wait for vista?

MS doesnt offer Windows 2003 upgrades either. Did you try checking out the videos on your version of XP Pro. There should be a simple codec solution. I hate to say I don't know how MS could be so dumb but it is imaginable. I think MS is right about not offering a RETAIL copy of mediacenter but I think there is a OEM version you can buy. Granted its not an upgrade to XP Pro. Media center is closer to XP home since it lacks domain networking.

What do u mean by codec? I wish there were a simple program or something that would allow me to play my movies on my xbox but no such luck. Using windows media connect i can see pictures and listen to music but not video :( thanks anyway

Codecs are tools for reading video. Divx, xvid, etc. Most DVD formats are codecs you have to pay for and come with programs like powerdvd. These let you view dvd format (mpeg-2?).

so how would a codec allow me to connect with my xbox and share videos?

You can buy MCE 2005 without buying a new computer. Link.

MS just doesn't want you to know about it because then they would sell less hardware. Just be careful that your computer will meet the requirments for running MCE, they are different from regular Windows XP, and difficult to find since MS wants you to buy it installed on a PC already.

But my question would be if you want to setup a MCE PC why not just play movies directly from it? Why bother with the XBox at all if you will be watching on a PC instead of a TV anyway? It would be easier and cheaper to just pop the DVD into the PC and play there.

Back