• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObiwanShinobi

I have my 3700+ at 2.8 with my pc3200 patriot ram 2-2-2-5 and it gets rather warm, does my ram suck or should I change the timings? Or is there some sort of aftermarket cooling I could get for very cheap. FYI I have no job and little to no money

just mount an extra 80mm fan on top of them. I've seen people use ruberbands to hold the fan in place. It it normal for overclocked RAM to get warm. Just find a way to give them some airflow

I wouldn't recommend using rubber bands, as they tend to dry out, get brittle, and snap very easily. Use plastic ties (zap straps, I think they are commonly referred to), or some other way of mounting inside your case.

I just got this thing called a crab from nexfan. It's quiet (20db) but keeps the ram nice and cool. It has arms that clamp on the RAM. It was like $11 IIRC.

Can anyone post pics of how they mounted an 80mm with zip ties or something? I was looking at my case for 20 mins yesterday and I can't think of a good way to mount a fan that would be optimal for memory cooling.

Also if someone could comment on my current memory setup and see if I even need to bother with an extra fan that'd be cool:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=454691

--Illah

No, but it's basically setup just like the pic of that computer in my other thread, with the fan drawing air across the RAM.

--Illah

CaseWithoutpanel.jpg

heres a picture of my case, where do you think I could mount a fan, right now I just have a 90 mm taped on. :/

I use the thicker rubber bands. Haven't had any problems. Granted they don't last forever but they do the job until I get to playin' around with different ram sticks.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 147
These days they make anything and everything. Who would have thought the market would be this ridiculous. OMG! :drool:

ObiwanShinobi said:
CaseWithoutpanel.jpg

heres a picture of my case, where do you think I could mount a fan, right now I just have a 90 mm taped on. :/

Try this.....Get a pci slot cover or something of the sort and drill a small hole in the crossbar(where you have it attached to right now). Now bend the pci slot cover/metal bracket to your liking so it is closer to the ram and attach the same fan(so it is pointed towards the ram) with a screw and attach the metal bracket/pci slot cover to the crossbar with a bolt and nut. Try it!!

ill try and find a picture of what I ended up doing to mine, carey (my buddy that obiwan knows) and I just made a sheet metal bracket and screwed it in.

As my friend always says "RAM is made in an oven". Cooling is really only a problem at super high clock speeds, such as GDDR3 and other 1ghz+ memories. There was an interview with a guy from Corsair not too long ago, he basically said blowing air on the RAM is useless. Heatsinks along the lines of what we see on video cards, with many fins on them, work the best. Plain flat heat spreaders only help marginally in cooling, but look nice and are easier to handle. Unless your case temp is super high, don't worry about the RAM getting too hot, especially at stock DDR 3200 speed. Timings do not increase heat generation noticably, only clock speed and voltage.

Corsair Interview

-Rav

Back