• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium D's and P4 3.2 HT's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiveSideways

Well I recently decided that rather than use lucifer to test new systems, we should give F@H a try.

My question is:

Last time I folded (quite some time ago) Core 78 was assigned to faster PCs, and Core 65 to older ones. That being said, I'm wondering why the four dell Pentium D's and the 3 P4 netvistas I just set up all downloaded and started core 65...

Is this normal? Do I need to add execute tags?

What Client did you download?

Console? Graphical?

Version 5.02? or 5.04? (console)

Or are you speaking Linux?

:cool:

EDIT:

If you are using Windoz, the 5.04 version works really good.

It pretty much walks you right through any flags needing set.

Big packets & advmethods for 512+ memory & 2.0Ghz +

On DC's, you'd just DL 2 clients. (2 5.04's and set up as machine 1 & machine#2)

I think Wedo has a One Click for DC cpus in the Stickies.

I used the one that wasn't beta (console).

I just put it on 2x 2200+s, and they got Core 78. Is that normal?

All of our rigs run XP.

Sounds right.

It depends on what type of WU you ended up DL'ing.
If you get a new type WU, and don't have the Core already, It'll DL it for you.

Oh, don't forget to set cpu useage to 50% per core on FAH (50%x2=100%)

So Core 65 is optimal for these somewhat high end pentiums?

For example, this rig I'm on now is running protein p1163_p1136_p1130_L939_K12M_355K, and is getting about 6 minutes a frame. How many frames per protein?

EDITED - I assume that 2x50% thing is only for the Pentium D's? How do I go about setting that?

Its in the config file.

Where you edit the Team name and User name.

CPU usage=xxx

change to 50% if you are using a dual core cpu.

Leave at 100 for single core.

Core65 would be fine if that is what it downloaded for that particular WU.

Your next WU may require a different Core. :shrug:

Ok thanks, just thought I'd check. I'll stick to putting on the machines in our office and those being tested before they are deployed though... I don't think they'd be to happy to see the power bill with 300 rigs running at load, heh.

The core you run depends on the wu's your rigs are assigned.

Core65 runs timeless tinkers so i guess your problem is your settings.

You should run with:

bigpackets=yes in client.cfg

AND -advmethods flag
How you set this flag depends on the client you are running and how you are running it:
- on client 5.04 this is also set in client.cfg regardless if running as a desktop client or as a service.
- on client 5.02 (or earlier ... if running older than 5.02 get 5.02 or 5.04!)
It is set as a flag to the console or if running as a service you need to add it to the service parameters for each folding instance using regedit.
- if running as a desktop (non-graphical) client, add it to the flags you should already have set? in the target string of the shortcut ... add " -advmethods" to your "-local -verbosity 9 -forceasm" flags. If you don't have those other flags already set, they are recommended.

I am not sure how to set -advmethods if you are running the 5.03 graphical client. I don't use that client and it is more trouble to run it than the others since it does have some problems.

My Config file looks like this

"[settings]
username=LiveSideways
team=32
asknet=no
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=yes"

Where can I set the dual cores to 50%?

LiveSideways said:

For example, this rig I'm on now is running protein p1163_p1136_p1130_L939_K12M_355K, and is getting about 6 minutes a frame. How many frames per protein?

EDITED - I assume that 2x50% thing is only for the Pentium D's? How do I go about setting that?

Those are not the ones you watn to be folding ... see my other post to change your settings so that once you finish the wu's you have you will bet better ones.

Of course when making the changes i suggested in last post, make sure you stop the client/services before making the changes.

Added these tags to all the rigs "-local -verbosity 9 -forceasm -advmethods"

Anything else I should change?

LiveSideways said:

Those are not the ones you watn to be folding ... see my other post to change your settings so that once you finish the wu's you have you will bet better ones.

Of course when making the changes i suggested in last post, make sure you stop the client/services before making the changes.

I would not change those % parms for the pentium D's And you probably should run 2 instances on each of the D's unless possibly if you have other demanding workloads on them.

I added those tags and restarted F@H (I deleted all the current work first).

The dual cores all got Core 79 now, is that better?

LiveSideways said:
My Config file looks like this

"[settings]
username=LiveSideways
team=32
asknet=no
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=yes"

Where can I set the dual cores to 50%?

EDIT: What are you running, 5.02?

DL another Client & put install it into a folder called FAH2.

Make machineid=2

This is for Dual Core.

You now have 2 "instances" of FAH on your pc.

Use the same flags, just make CPUusage= 50 (50%)

Set the Useage @ 50 for Both clients

Restart the clients and you should be good.

-Right pscout?

:D

Running client 504 on these, seems to be going smoothly now. When I get home I'd let to set it up on my newcastle. Should I still use those same tags or are they intel specific?

"-local -verbosity 9 -forceasm -advmethods"

just leave cpu usage at 100%.

That way you will fully utilize both cpu cores running 2 folding instances on the D's.

using other than 100% only makes sense if you have overheating concerns on a laptop.

also, you don't need to download another console ... just copy the console you already have and its client.cfg and edit the second client.cfg to change machineid=2 like warroir said. Make a new shortcut to it with all the flags as above.

On deleting the wu's you had, it really is best practice since we are doing it for the science to just complete the ones you have and your settting changes would have been picked up when they finisihed folding to get you some higher ppd ones.

Also, if the netvistas have ht p4's, you could considier running a second instance on them too, especailly if they are dedicated to folding.

LiveSideways said:
Running client 504 on these, seems to be going smoothly now. When I get home I'd let to set it up on my newcastle. Should I still use those same tags or are they intel specific?

"-local -verbosity 9 -forceasm -advmethods"

They are good for any current rig.

On a p3 or older amd's, best not to run with -advmethods.

As per my last post, duals instances are ok with current wu's on ht p4's but on your winchester (single core?) just run 1 instance.

If you want each core of the cpu to run at 100%, each instance has to be set to 100%.

ChasR said:
If you want each core of the cpu to run at 100%, each instance has to be set to 100%.

Oh, my bad then.

I guess I didn't know better. Now I do.

<---- Dual Noob :rolleyes:

Keep us informed !

Back