• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KVM with a new monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I'm thinking about getting a 19" Viewsonic or something but I'm a bit concerned because I have several PCs hooked up via a KVM switch (analog). I currently have a decent 17" LCD - could be a budget Viewsonic but I'm not sure, it works ok. My main concern is that the standard resolution of the 19" is 1440*900 and I'm not sure that the old Belkin KVM can handle it, nor do I think that one or two of the computers can handle that.

Any thoughts on how this can work out?

Hmmm what if you got an LCD of some sort like you're talking about with a DVI and VGA port. Now take the DVI cable and plug it into your main PC, then take the VGA and put it into the switch, whenever you want to use one of the other PCs, using the OSD switch to VGA input, and change the switch to whatever PC you wish to use. This would be ideal, as you'll want to use DVI for best image quality anyway.

Other option is to try it, who knows perhaps it can use that resolution without issue? Try to find a CRT you have lying around and set it to the highest resolution the monitor supports while its connected to your switch, you may be suprised.

OKAY third option you can just have 2 monitors, the nice one to your main PC, the other to your switch (17").

#4 - get a monitor with a lower resolution. :)

Back