• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP calling all x2 users.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerDave

Registered
k guys this is my prob. i have my ocz enhanced latency memory using tcc5 memory modules.... not like this will matter. in my x2 system with everything been replaced except my x2 my memory bandwidth is majorly low. like @ ddr440 2-3-3-6 i get a mem bw ~ 5.7 gb/s. @ 230 i get just ~ 6 gb/s. before SOMETHING my mem bw was 6.2 @ 440 and 6.45 @ 460. (these tests remain the same on my other system with 3500+) and i have gone through all memory timings and everything and i know it is set to the same as my other comp. i had good scores before SOMETHING and something happened. i then ran into a guy complaining about the amd x2 hotfixes making it so apps cant use both cores if its multithreaded capable. im am thinking that this hotfix is what screwed up my memory bandwidth for some reason. i am asking anyone with an x2 WITH or WITHOUT to reply saying if they have the hotfixes installed...... and what there mem bw is like @ 440 and 460 @ 2.5-3-3-6 max. i want to see if i can conclude that this is the problem cuz if not i am stumped and think my ondie memory controller is weak or something. thanx

hmmm u seem kinda low too to me. if u can can u drop it down to 230 ?. cuz on my a8n sli deluxe before my mem bandwidth got slaughtered .... which might of been after the hot fix......i got like those scores @ 2-3-3-6-1t @ 235~ once u hit 250-255 i would expect ~ 7 gb/s scores

This is pretty interesting, because I have been wondering about the hotfix myself, and if it was really doing anything helpful.

I have 2X512 sticks of gskill TCCD ram, and i'm running it at 2.5-4-4-8 1T at 300mhz. My sandra bandwith was around 7200 when I had the hotfix installed.

That was a while back, and since then I have formatted my drive and reinstalled windows WITHOUT the hotfix to see how it peformed. I don't remember exactly what my 3dmark05 CPU scores was before, but I am almost positive they are around 2K points higher now, and nothing has changed cept the hotfix. 3dmark06 CPU score was the same, but 3dmark05 was higher.

My sandra has stopped working for some reason, and i'm not sure why, so I can't give you sandra results now that I have no hotfix. I'm see if I can get it back going again and post back over here what I get with no hotfix.

Marlon

I was having bandwidth problems before (with my opty) and I had the hotfix installed. Afer a format, and no hotfix, all seems well.....

Strange

Hmmmm very intresting. I formatted last weekend, have not installed the dual core driver or the hotfix. Though this weekend is not the best weekend for testing for me; gimme some time and ill run at 230mhz + sisandra and report what i find.

hmmm ... see my main comp i down right now or id be doing all this experimenting my self... (waiting for my ocz ram to come back from rma and 7900gtx)..... but u guys are REALLY helping me out to discover something here. snakesskinner.... install everest... and run that bench its almost the same.... see what u get and 7.2 for 300 mhz defintely is low. thanx for the help guys :) keep it up

i did a reformat.... but i never thought of this till now when i found a couple other dual core users having the same prob as me. the x2 hotfix was just second nature on a reinstall.... only prob is i told him to remove all the drivers reg keys and updates and **** and his bench was still low so it seems something was left in the system.... he coulda done it wrong but it anyone wants to test this out that would be pretty cool

RangerDave,

I'm with you man, I was having some performance issues with my last install, but I never figured out if it was from that hotfix or from wicked bad hard drive fragmentation... Bah Just noticed double post, sorry guys.

snakeskinner said:
My sandra has stopped working for some reason, and i'm not sure why, so I can't give you sandra results now that I have no hotfix. I'm see if I can get it back going again and post back over here what I get with no hotfix.

Make sure your system date is correct. I know Sandra won't run for me after I clear the CMOS until I set the system date.

i think with all your help we can descover a conspiracy and if my assumptions become true im going to try to post it everywhere is possable :) hardocp... shoutwire... toms.. anandtech.... who knows it might get huge :)

ALSO if you guys can help me on superpi scores.... @ 230 x2 @ 2.3 ghz my corsair memory @ 2.5-3-3-6-1t on my dfi sli-dr expert board... i get a superpi score ~ 37s..... does this seem slow or is that right on the dot?

OoooKaay, I don't know about a conspiracy theory (my AMD told me to do it :)) but I did notice that I get much better memory efficiency (83% -> 91%) with my new venice over my old opty165. I thought this was due to a different memory controller revision but now I'm not so sure. I had some major stuttering going on in some games and the hotfix fixed it, so running without was not an option.

I have tried to read your first post twice and it just makes me dizzy. Did you buy all new stuff and keep only the CPU? Many different factors contribute to memory bandwidth. Is it possible that your new motherboard or ram has something to do with it? Dam now I wish I kept that opty so I could try this out.

Oh yeah, I am now running the same OS which had the X2 patch on a single core and no problems whatsoever (yet) I didn't unistall anything or even do the little regedit trick to turn off the hotfix. and I forgot to mention, I am getting 6844-int/6760-float now at 233 MHz and before I was getting around 6600 max at 240 MHz.

Last edited:
k ill explain it all over again... i have 2 comps, 1 with single core venice, second with dual core x2. my main pc had ocz enhanced latency plat edition pc4200 mem, a8n sli deluxe so on so forth its basically in my signature. im not sure what happened but i did get good memory bandwdith before something (which im thinking is the x2 patch). i have put my ocz in my other comp with same settings and get the bench i expect. but in my x2 get alot lower. (6.2 gb/s compared to 5.7 @ 220) i bought a new board thinking it was my mobo and im still getting the crappy bench. so with my new board, dfi sli-dr expert, both sets of mem which do good bench in my single core comp and crap in my x2 system. im trying to figure out if its the patch thats capping some of the bandwidth. i know the patch is wanted for gaming but for what i want to do (get max memory bench for the hell of it) i gotta find out if thats the cause. id do all my experimenting but as i said my ocz ram is dead and had to rma (corsair's still fine but bench was low on dfi board) and vid card is going through evga's step up program. so yeh just wanna find it out... and superpri scores would be nice ~ 220-230 fsb

Back