• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Modstream 520W or Silverstone Zeus 560W?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shmutt

Registered
Hi guys! Which one of the above do you think is better suited for my system?

For build quality etc, two good options are
OCZ520 Powerstream or
Silverstone ST56ZF

Modstream would be fine for yr system but the other two better units

I'll second that, the Powerstreams are much better than the modstream. The prices of Powerstreams seem to be down now that OCZ will be coming out with a new line of Power supplies in a few months.
The Zeus line is an excellent choice as well, make sure the part number ends in "ZF" I've read in the forums that are much better than the "F" versions.

With the Powerstream 520 and ST56ZF both being good powerful PSUs, I would choose the Powerstream 520 as it is fairly quiet while the ST56ZF has a reputation of being loud.

Hmm.. Looks like the Modstreams are out.. Powerstreams are way too over my budget, which is why I didn't even consider them, although I know of their excellent reputation.

The Zeus it is then! Yep, the part listed at the retail shop is the ST56ZF. If its a ST56F, then its a Strider, not a Zeus.

Thanks for the replies! :)

Hughhefner said:
What is your budget?. Where are you located, in the US?

Nah, I'm from the tiny island of Singapore. The Powerstream here is much more ex than the Zeus. Shipping kills if i buy from newegg.

Powerstream is around SG$260 (US$150?) while the Zeus varies around SG$210 (US$125?). Will be buying from retail shops, so there's no chance of getting a mail-in rebate.

Why can't I spend SG$50 extra to get the Powerstream? I'm getting Oblivian too! :D

Myself, as long as an OEM Etasis (Silverstone) is significantly cheaper than OEM Topower (OCZ), I wouldn't be spending much time thinking about the OCZ. Then again, the Silverstone is not as quiet a unit.

I'm using the Silverstone ST56ZF for about last 6 weelks or so it's been flawless. I can confirm it has got a very unfair reputation for noise, this is bull****. I think it comes from the reviews of the older Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF which also uses a single 80mm fan & was noted as being noisy in some reviews.

My previous PSU was a tagan 480, now they are noted for & sold for their quiet operation. I have 2 say i have noticed no difference.

I think the ocz 520 is decent but outside the states is seriously overpriced

luck :)

I don't mind a lil noisy components. I mean, how noisy can a PSU be? Don't think it will block out the tracks and sound fx while playing NFS:MW, can it? :D

No like wolf said & my own experience I'm sure the silverstone will serve u well
Don't think it will block out the tracks and sound fx while playing NFS:MW, can it?
- certainly not.

luck

I just got the 520 PowerStreama couple of days ago and personally I think it's a better unit than my Turbo-Cool 510SLI.

The unit is visually appealing, the cables are configured perfect, and most importantly the rails are rock solid.

Sparkle 550W either.. 36A's of 12V goodness for less then $110 USD.. solid unit to..

Back