• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade to 2405fpw?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
well, iv been presented witht the opportunity to swap my monitor + $300 for a 2405fpw...my questions is, should i do it? i hear 1680x1050 runs just fine on it (still clear, and im not sure if my card can handle 1920x1200 for gaming)..but is there such as a thing as too much of a good thing?

with a 1800xt I'd say go for it, I run a 7800GT and that's pretty much the same (your card is slightly faster I think). having a large resolution helps in some games...lets you see more if you have menus and such, but even when not gaming, 1920x1200 is awesome for productivity! I would say go for it.

ajrettke said:
with a 1800xt I'd say go for it, I run a 7800GT and that's pretty much the same (your card is slightly faster I think). having a large resolution helps in some games...lets you see more if you have menus and such, but even when not gaming, 1920x1200 is awesome for productivity! I would say go for it.

INDEED! That monitor is HUGE! If it wasn't so expensive, Everyone would have one..

playing games on native resol does need a decent gpu. Well worth getting the monitor though. In my eyes, the best monitor there is currently on the market. Good price, performance is good enough and the inputs is just amazing.

I say go for it man, any monitor you use after that will just feel inadequate (unless its a 30") :p

I don't like the way non-native resolutions look on my 2005FPW. I'm not sure why it would be any different on the 2405FPW. Anyhow, I have to use medium quality settings to run 1680x1050 on newer games with my 7800GT. I don't think this card would be able to handle 1920x1200 very well at all. Unless you're satisfied with low quality settings and/or low framerates (less than 40 FPS), you'll probably need a top-of-the-line card or an SLI/Crossfire setup.

KillrBuckeye said:
I don't like the way non-native resolutions look on my 2005FPW.

I agree completely, non-native is a no no with this panel. For games though, I think I remember it being alright (I haven't played non-native res' on a game in months).

But for text etc, using anything other than 1680x1050 is not a pleasant thing.
Although I reckon at 1920x1200 with an x800xt or higher (ie your x1800), you should get decent frame rates in the likes of Half Life 2 with no AA (not needed at that res anyways). I don't think you need to go as far as SLI/Crossfire.

Way I see it, $300 for a 24" LCD, that is an absolute bargain.
:)

voodoomelon said:
I agree completely, non-native is a no no with this panel. For games though, I think I remember it being alright (I haven't played non-native res' on a game in months).

But for text etc, using anything other than 1680x1050 is not a pleasant thing.
Although I reckon at 1920x1200 with an x800xt or higher (ie your x1800), you should get decent frame rates in the likes of Half Life 2 with no AA (not needed at that res anyways). I don't think you need to go as far as SLI/Crossfire.

Way I see it, $300 for a 24" LCD, that is an absolute bargain.
:)

not just this panel, any LCD IMO, its inherent in the technology

Good price, but good luck trying to run recent/future game releases with decent frame rates.

I run 1920x1200 in all my games on a X850GTO at PE speeds. You should have no problem running most games at the same res if anything you may have to turn down AA but at these resolutions AA is almost a moot point. My roommate also runs 1920x1200 using his 6800Ultra. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that lots of games still do not support widescreen.

Ya totaly go for it!

I play lots of games all maxed out at native resolution and don't see much of a slowdown at all on both my X800 and my X850.

(Besides if you're not pleased with the framerates it will give you a reason to buy a new video card :D )

Back