• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fun Fun Fun - hardware in the mail... gonna overclock!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fragleader

Well, I finally got myself to slap down some money and I ordered enough stuff to spin off a new system, which I'm going to overclock. Here's what I ordered:

AthlonXP 1600+
Epox 8KHA+ motherboard
Enlight Medium Tower with a 340W psu (EN-7237AZ)
IBM 60 GB 7200RPM ATA100 60GXP drive ($122!! does that seem insanely cheap to anyone else?)
SK-6 heatsink
Thermaltake fans* - a 60mm for the SK-6 and 2 80mms for the case.
2 256MB sticks of PC2100 RAM

I got this all in one fell swoop from newegg except the memory, which I ordered from crucial. It came to about $500 with shipping at newegg and was something like $66 for the memory at crucial. It's not horribly expensive for what I'm getting, but blowing almost $570 is never easy, you know? :)

Everything else I need I should have already. I'm planning to overclock this badboy this way. I got some silicone thermal paste to use in the groove in the L1 gap, but I still need something to bridge the gap. I've been looking at conductive pens and that thermal grease recommended in the link above. I think I'll order a conductive pen (after I ask my dad if he has anything I could use, since I might build this thing at home over thanksgiving). Anyone know of any cheaper/easier to get solution that would work just as well? If I can get it at a radio shack or something, that would be great.

*About the fans, I was wondering if anyone has tried the thermaltake kind before. I decided I'd go ahead and give them a shot, because they operate at about 30dB but cool at 31 CFM (for the 60mm) and 37 CFM (for the 80 mm). I think that should be enough, because that will put me at over 100 CFM for the case, but it should be pretty quiet. I've read a few reviews (gah! can't find them now) that say these fans are as quiet as they claim, so I decided I'd get some. If they aren't good enough, well... fans are cheap :). Anyone tried these? Are they enough?

Well, I've made you read enough by now... heh. It's just kind of exciting since I haven't done any of this before. Whenever I do all this stuff, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Wish me luck!

Edit: I have another question for all of you people with experience at this: I've seen people getting their XP1800+s over 1.7GHz without a voltage mod or some expensive cooling rig. I'm wondering how close I can get to this figure. Probably not as close since I opted for less noise instead of more cooling and I'm starting with a 1600+, but do you think I could at least get to 1.65GHz? That's about a 250MHz increase... If I set the FSB to 150 and bump the multiplier up from 10.5 to 11, I'd get there. Does this seem possible without going over 1.85V? Should I even consider this with a somewhat limited cooling ability?

Last edited:
Hmm sounds awesome man, im waiting on my last 3 parts to come in so I can built my system. I have about the same system as you (in cooling)

It is exciting :D

I think you should be able to hit 1.600 easy with the setup. I would have got a biger fan for the heatsink but your going for more silence than (RUSH-delta fans lol)

hope everything goes smooth ;)

I got 1.7 jon my 1800 just by increasing my voltage and FSB. I haven't unlocked it yet-I'm a bit chicken. I have 2-80mm fans sucking in, and 2-90mm and 1-80mm blowing out the back. This aloing with a Volcano 6 heat sink keeps my chip at 46 deg. full load. Hpoe that helps and good luck!

Cheers

Back