• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken raid 0+1, need help !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZL1

Senior Crypto Caretaker
Hi

Guys I have a problem, I have a broken raid 0+1 array (4x18 drives), the array no longer shows up :( I just see the drives :(
Here's what happened - we were in the process of upgrading a server at work and a co-worker decided to move the data by pulling the mirrors (drive 1&3) and installing them into the new server, he tried to add them as a new array in the new box, but he couldnt read the data so he put them back and tried to reintegrate them into the old array. What exactly did he do I don't know, but he says he didn't zero them out so I'm guessing/hoping the data is still there, but I'm guessing the raid config info isnt :(
Is there any way I can recover the data ? anyone know of any tools for a raid rebuild or something ?

The system is an HP Proliant 350 with an HP LC2 raid controller, 4 x18gb fujitsu/compaq scsi drives with linux ext3 filesystem

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know

Thank you
Dan

When i install windows xp from stratch. I always pull the RAID out so the data isnt compromised. He should of pulled all four drives. Then swapped them over to the new server, not pulling two drives out. On my Pc there is a onboard controller, which has a seperate ROM, which has the settings of the RAID ARRAY, like change e.g. type of RAID etc. On the new server, should be a program within the startup messages, that controls the RAID controller. Get into that program and configure it to keep the existing RAID array without data loss. On mine when i set it up the first time it said

" Do you wish to erase this RAID array?" two options yes and no. Obviously i choose yes at the time, but now, no, but i dont keep going into it, no need to.

Try putting all four RAID drives in the new server and try accessing the RAID program within the RAID Controller try and configure it manually. Dont erase it, just set it up as like

Type: RAID 0+1
Drive Placement: Master, Slave, SMaster, Sslave

Then when in your server OS, it should detect the RAID controller & the Array and put it in "my computer".

If that doesnt work, try using partition magic, it might help with the RAID rebuild, but not 100% sure.

Last edited:
einstein2 said:
When i install windows xp from stratch. I always pull the RAID out so the data isnt compromised. He should of pulled all four drives. Then swapped them over to the new server, not pulling two drives out. On my Pc there is a onboard controller, which has a seperate ROM, which has the settings of the RAID ARRAY, like change e.g. type of RAID etc. On the new server, should be a program within the startup messages, that controls the RAID controller. Get into that program and configure it to keep the existing RAID array without data loss. On mine when i set it up the first time it said

" Do you wish to erase this RAID array?" two options yes and no. Obviously i choose yes at the time, but now, no, but i dont keep going into it, no need to.

Try putting all four RAID drives in the new server and try accessing the RAID program within the RAID Controller try and configure it manually. Dont erase it, just set it up as like

Type: RAID 0+1
Drive Placement: Master, Slave, SMaster, Sslave

Then when in your server OS, it should detect the RAID controller & the Array and put it in "my computer".

If that doesnt work, try using partition magic, it might help with the RAID rebuild, but not 100% sure.

I know that man and the funny thing is he does too, but he was sleep-working or something ...

anywho you mean build the array like it was originally built ? I thought of that, but I'm a bit worried about loosing the data, I may try, but I will try to back them up first ... may try PM as well

Thanks for the suggestions,
Dan

Back