• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

930 vs. 950 w/ Big Typhoon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tycanadian

Hi guys, now that the price cuts have arrived, there is a $150 CDN price difference between the Presler 930 and the Presler 950. Does anyone have experience on what the expected difference in an average max overclock on good air between these chips would be? Should I just go for the cheap 930 or will I likely see a reasonable performance benefit from going with the 950?

Thanks for the reply, Nasgul. Interesting...I would definitely be happy with 4.5GHz. Does anyone have experience with the overclocking capabilities of the 930 vs the 950? I assume the 950 would get a bit higher, but if it's < 5%, it's probably not worth the extra money. Any thoughts?

950 got the 17x multi and the 930 have 15x... what mb are you going to use?

Btw: my 950 es is @62c 100% load 4545mhz @ 1,5v bios TT-BT but not the stoc fan.. Delta ABF1212SH (mb speed control 3300rpm)

are you going to get a droop mod? lol (on air what a silly question my bad)
hay, but plenty would do it.. ;)

Proth has had bad luck hitting 5Ghz on 930's.. and Ross has his a bit over with a Single Stage Direct die Phase.. Im not sure what the 930's upper limit is on high end air, check the CM Pressler sticky.
btw.. the C1 stepping just might change the high clocks for the better ;)

tycanadian said:
I've heard a lot about the droop mod. Is it necessary on air with the P5WD2-E Premium to hit ~4.2-4.5GHz?

I wouldnt think so.. higher clocks maybe

There is a slightly better chance the 950 will O/C a little higher final clock speed due to Intel's tendency to speed bin, but what you might gain there is offset by the higher FSB of the 930. Personally, I would get the C1 stepping 930 and save the extra cash and enjoy the higher FSB.

you seem really stuck on the BT do you have it already?

or are you just using it as a point of referance for how well the chips clock?

Well that and the Scythe Ninja seem to be the best and somewhat quiet, and the Ninja isn't available at the two Canadian retailers I usually go through.

I think I'll go with the 930. I need it soon but hopefully the C1 will be available at my time of purchase. Thanks for your recommendations guys.

Turiq Tower or Sonic Tower availbile?
I would recomend the 930 over any of them really but thats JMHO :)
NP.. :D

Back