• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD CPU 2700 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

Just curious on a couple of things,

How big a difference would it with with gaming/render times using the 2700 vs the 2700x?

Is it possible to make a 2700 operate at the same speeds etc just like a 2700x ??

Basically I think I have found a dirt cheap 2700 the price difference between this and the x model is significant, so wanting to know is it possible in Ryzen master to keep all the functions like a normal 2700x but using the 2700 with the same frequencies, Such as making the base clock speed on the 2700 match that of a 2700x and the max turbo speed 4.3ghz like the 2700x but on a 2700. Don't mind if I have to bump the power up a wee bit. Just trying to get 2700x performance on a 2700.

Also does AMD actually sell the Wraith prism fans new? I see sellers on amazon saying they are selling these new but can't find any sources that can verify these actually sell new since afaik they only come with a cpu in a box.

Cheers,

Bandit.

1. Not much.. look how little difference there is in clock speeds.
2. Yes, you can overclock a 2700 to the negligiblly faster 2700x.

What E.D. said. It is basically the exact chip, but they are "binned" to be better, and set for a slightly faster clock speed.

Just wanted to add, you can get a 3600 running \ performing much faster than a 2700x. How good of a deal is this chip? New\used?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/3958vs4040

Even in "8 core" performance, the 3600 (which is 2 cores, 4 threads less) is barely behind the 2700x. And an overclock can fix that. For single threaded stuff, and anything using up to six cores 12 threads, the 3600 will beat it. This is the performance you'll gain by going with a newer architecture.

2700 is binned for 65W and 2700X for 105W. I guess that CPB makes difference. When manually overclocking, no difference.

bmaxa, you may be totally right, I have no idea without looking it up. But a difference of 40W seems way too much between a regular CPU and the same CPU with the "X" variant.

We're talking a couple - few hundred MHz here at best. As said above the non X versions will perform as good or better as their X counterparts with mild tweaking.

bmaxa, you may be totally right, I have no idea without looking it up. But a difference of 40W seems way too much between a regular CPU and the same CPU with the "X" variant.

We're talking a couple - few hundred MHz here at best. As said above the non X versions will perform as good or better as their X counterparts with mild tweaking.

Agreed, only difference is default TDP when using automatic overclocking.

I'm still suggesting you go with Zen 3, even with 2 less cores. Or newer. If ALL you do is 8 core \ 16 thread workloads, that is the only place you will see a benefit from the 2700 or 2700x, and it will be a small one.

Looking at live streaming for gaming as well as video rendering for anything not being live streamed.

Will be using GTX 1660 super as well.

So basically due to the IPC gain the newer CPU's will out class previous gen CPU's even if they are of lower core/thread count?

Looking at live streaming for gaming as well as video rendering for anything not being live streamed.

Will be using GTX 1660 super as well.

So basically due to the IPC gain the newer CPU's will out class previous gen CPU's even if they are of lower core/thread count?
Zen3 would outclass, not sure about Zen2, though Zen2 has much better AVX.

If you compare benchmarks you will find that the 3600 beats the 2700x in every category but one. For a full 8c 16t workload, side by side, the 2700x will be a few points higher. If you overclock it a bit, I think even apples to apples an 8 core load scenario would be faster on the 3600.

It is possible that you may have a better experience gaming \ streaming with those two extra cores. I don't stream, so I'm not aware how much resources it chews up. For gaming alone though, the 3600 will beat it by a noticeable margin.

Your benefit with newer generation would be higher instructions per cycle and noticeably faster single threaded performance. The new 5800x would absolutely, undoubtedly beat an older 8 core.

Trying to go with most bang for my buck. I see on forums and youtube that 3700x is where its at, same for when I went and had a chat with the guy who I got some ram from at the local PC shop.

My issue is the price of the CPU upgrade hence why I am looking at other CPU options, in saying that I previously saw both the 2700x and 3700x as 8/16 and 8/16 with 3700x being abit better.

The price difference between the two is a fair bit here in New Zealand. So I am trying not to blow all my monies if its possible to game and stream well by using the 2700x.

I am also wanting to try to avoid bottleneck as much as possible as this was the problem with my previous machine hence why I had to upgrade to AM4 based system which was due to using fx8350 with a gtx 1660.

One day I will get a 3080 or something along those lines. Its very possible by then something else way better might be out and I may be forced to upgrade again which is part of my reasoning for considering cheaping out on a 2700x or 2700.

Seems the new gen 6 cores almost always as good as the 8 core from previous gen, we have 3700x here for $579 and 5600x for $559.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have absolutely heard that from reviewers. Stuff along the lines of "The new 6 core is the old 8 core" and "the new 8 core is like the old 10 core".

Do your research, and you can't go wrong. I wish you the best of performance :)

Just wanted to clarify something: you can definitely overclock a 2700 and see similar performance to a 2700x, however it will not be as the OP described. You cannot simply change the base/boost clocks and add voltage. Once you overclock the CPU will no longer boost, you will just set a single all core clock speed like a standard OC. I would still take the 2700 over the X as the real world performance difference, even stock to stock, is minimal.

Yeah 8c is considered to be better for streaming, but overall I would still take the 3600, especially if you're gaming at 1080p or lower resolutions.

What?! I got a 3700X this past June for no more than around $330!

Sorry this is in New Zealand dollars.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Just wanted to clarify something: you can definitely overclock a 2700 and see similar performance to a 2700x, however it will not be as the OP described. You cannot simply change the base/boost clocks and add voltage. Once you overclock the CPU will no longer boost, you will just set a single all core clock speed like a standard OC. I would still take the 2700 over the X as the real world performance difference, even stock to stock, is minimal.

Yeah 8c is considered to be better for streaming, but overall I would still take the 3600, especially if you're gaming at 1080p or lower resolutions.

Thinking stream at 1080p or 1440p.

Ok ended up getting a 2700x from amazon at $230 USD while there was one up at that price. Not sure if that is considered a good deal or not, since I can't get this chip in NZ stores I went for it over the 3600 for gaming and streaming. The 3700x in dec at one point was 272USD I was abit slow with my order so ended up missing out. For me I paid NZD $400ish for the 2700x the 3700x sells here for $579.00 NZD. I am hoping the 2700x will have plenty of power for gaming and streaming as I am thinking 3700x would be overkill anyway????

I don't know the exchange rates, but $580 for a 3700X sounds brutal to me. I just picked one up last month for $330. (lil bro built a PC & no reasonable 3600 \ 3600X prices, so he got my 3600 & I upgraded)

Back