• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless network at home, slow??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Frog

I have a router which my PC is plugged into via a cable. And I have a laptop with a PCMCIA 16bit 11Mb/s WiFi card. Now, it says its getting 100% signal, as it should because its only 2 meters from the router. But when I copy from my PC to my laptop it only gets 3Mb/s (According to the task manager on my PC.)

Any one know what I can do to get 11Mb/s out of this setup? Without buying a new WifI card?

I don't use encription, no need where I live. So, if a 11Mbits card only does 3Mbits, what would a 54Mbits card do? 12Mbits? I really need faster transfer between my laptop and my PC. True 11Mbits is good enough, but more the marrier

Careful with the megabits vs megabytes. Remember: 1 byte = 8 bits I use the google to do my conversions. FYI- 54 megabits = 6.75 megabytes. Bare in mind this is the theorectical max. With overhead/encryption you'll be looking about closer to 4-5 megabytes per second tops in the real world. Even less if you don't have a good signal or have lots of people sharing the wireless.

Back