• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp + Kt266a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowboy X

I want to get me a 1800 or 1900 xp but I'm worried about hte stability of the fastest chipset out there at present ( kt266A )

I have seen so many cases listed where Boards just won't boot.These listings have been at http://www.amdmb.com and involve the msi pro2 and ru , shuttle ak31 and the epox boards all of which have excellent reviews.

Some think that it has to do with the need for a northbridge heatsink and others think that there are actually 2 XP cores .

Interestingly I haven't seen any postings involving thunderbirds or the XP 1900+.

Anyone out there with advice or ideas ?:(

Most of the people who had problems with their KT266A boards were really faced with easily surmountable problems...like RAM and vid cards not seated right, settings in the bios, or the board was just DOA (which can happen with any electical equip.), I wouldn't have any trepidation in recommending the Shuttle AK31A r.3.1, this was my first full system build, and it went flawlessly.

Thanx pete but if you check the amdmb posts there are quite a few peolpe who are quite knowledgeable and have tried absoloutely everything and still failed.

With msi it seems that there is another version of the board with a northbridge heatsink which appears to work well.

I'm not so sure about th others .

Back