• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Dual Core Patch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
I am sure this has been asked before but here goes:

I just upgraded to an opteron 165. Do I need to install the AMD Dual Core Driver Patch and the WinXP Hotfix or not.

Are there signs that I should look for to let me know if I need these fixes? I am new to the Dual Core scene and am looking for info.

Thanks

My 165 is fine without it as well. Just wondering if it would be better with it. I am running dual FAH in my off time.

I noticed I needed the dual core patch when I tried to play half life 2 and sim city 4. the frames per second keep jumping around (etc. 85...45...85....45..) just kept going up and down every second or so, otherwise I didn't notice any difference.

actually for some games I think you also need to disable one of the cores for better performance .... So don't use the patch .... ;)

yes u should install the patch. I run a dual core opty 170 and i had a lot of issues with some old software. The problem is that those software doesnt know how to handle two cores, and instead of running on 1 core, it tries to simoultaneously run on two.

For example, I play a lot of DOTA on Warcraft III. Without the patch, I would get mad "frame lag". It would look choppy as hell, even with my rig. I can't manually set processor affinity (which would solve the problem) so i had to use RunFirst.exe ( its a program that forces software onto 1 core). I had to do this for Mozilla Thunderbird too, and Counterstrike would lag if i left it on two cores also. Downloading the patch fixed everything and made my life simpler.

Back