• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie needs help getting started!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oxicottin

Hello everbody!!! Im new to the forum and had a few questions and needed help getting started on a basic Overclock. I have a ASUS P5P800 SE motherboard, P4 630 Prescott 3.0 LGA775 CPU, Coolermaster Hyper 48 CPU Cooler, two 120mm case fans and two Kingston 1Gb KVR400X64C3A/1G sticks. My ASUS Probe reads (CPU) 36C/ 87F and (MB) 32C /89F just a tad higher when im running several programs. What all do I have to do to get started? and what do my setting have to be at? I dont want to get crazy and ruin my PC I just want to speed it up a little faster!! :drool: Thanks!!

Good setup.

Well just start bumping up the FSB in the bios. I recomend 5-10 Mhz increases. Use prime95 to test stability. Make sure you run 2 instances (make a copy of the p95 folder, and then run both, and set the infinity for one to be 0, then the other to be 1).

Also you can use super pi for a quick stability test, but it is best to stress test with prime95. Watch your temps, both idle and when priming,load temps (when CPU is 100%) should be under 60C.

You also might find the limit on your ram and have to run a divider. I believe with your mobo the dividers are listed as (auto?), 400, 333, 266, maybe some more?

When you hit a wall, were it becomes unstable, trying bumping up the Vcore slightly, but most people say to never go over 1.5-1.55 vcore. Also you might need to bump up ram volts, do not be afraid to go all the way up to 2.8volts.

Back