• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to stop my computer from changing IP everytime I reset router/modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

Everytime when my modem/router jumps/resets, the network IP changes on my computer. It is really annoying because I have DMZ and ports forwarded for my comp IP to use some programs/games (BT, wc3, etc). Anyone know how to stop it? Because it does this at least twice a day and I always need to go back to my router and changed all the ports ip and DMZ. It changes from 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.102/3/4/5/6/7 -_- very annoying

Static IP's, just assign an ip in your network properties, and then turn off DHCP on your router.

Alternitive, depending on the router you may beable to map mac addresses to DHCP IP requests. just find your mac address in the list of active leases.

If you are using DMZ and port fowarding then whatever computers are involved in that should really be static anyway. Makes things easier and more reliable as you can see from your problem. Still keeping DHCP active though allows computers whose IPs don't matter to be just plugged in and not worry about configuring IPs. Works great, especially for like a laptop that might be used in mroe than one network.

yeah set a static IP address I'm attaching a picture how

Basically open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and the info will pop up, basically just put that info right into those boxes and you will have a static IP address that won't change.

desktop8gu1.jpg

Back