• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting router to repeater help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

I'll try to explain the issue the best I can. I had an Asus RT-N12 D1 setup as a wireless repeater. I had three things connected to the Ethernet ports and all devices worked great. No issues. The 3 devices are a smart TV, Fire TV recast and a Dishnetwork receiver. Of course the Asus was only a repeater for 2.4GHZ. My ATT Uverse modem does 2.4 and 5 GHZ so I decided to get a TPlink RE580D repeater that does 2.4 and 5 GHZ plus it has 5 gigabit ports. I figured this would give those devices a little more connection speed by using the 5 ghz. Anyway I configured the RE580D as a repeater and it works fine. I connected the TV, Fire TV recast and Dishnetwork receiver to the Ethernet ports. All connected the the internet except the Dishnetwork junk. I know the repeater is working because I watched Netflix on the TV and connected to the Fire TV on my phone. I even connected my laptop to the Ethernet port of the repeater and got on the internet. I tried powereing down and repowering the repeater, reset the Dishnetwork receiver, plugged the Ethernet cable int different ports and still nothing. The only thing I could think of was that the Dishnetwork receiver is old and doesn't like the gigabit port on the repeater. So I thought I have and Asus RT-N10+ that still works. I'll use it as a router connected to one of the ports on the TPlink repeater. I couldn't get the thing to connect at all. The Asus couldn't seem to find an IP address according to the setup. I didn't want to use the Asus I was using as the repeater because if I can't get this to work all I have to do is put the Asus back in as the repeater. Anyway I tried messing with IP stuff in the Asus router I was trying to setup. I can't figure it out. I know it didn't work because I hooked the laptop up to it and I couldn't get on the internet plus the IP address for the laptop was some way off address. So I'm lost. I know it has to be something with the setup for the Asua RT-N10+ IP settings but I don't know what. To access the Asus I go to the web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 and then enter the user and password. Here's a capture of the settings in my ATT modem.
Ask all the questions you need and I'll try to answer the best I can. I would like to get Th TPlink repeater working.
ATTmodem.PNG

I'm not the most educated in these things but it sounds like DNS is not passing through your new router turned repeater/AP. I would make sure that the repeater has DNS turned off.

=...but it sounds like DNS is not passing through your new router turned repeater/AP.

OP stated
> The Asus couldn't seem to find an IP address according to the setup

Wouldn't that be a DHCP problem?

To the OP, a diagram would be very helpful to describe the present layout, what works and what doesn't. I pencil sketch on paper would suffice. I can't picture it in my head from the description and if I try to draw a diagram, I'll probably get it wrong. ;)

just throwing these out there as extra things to check :

1) maybe the dishnetwork box has a hard coded default gateway (192.168.1.1 for example) but from the image I see the gateway is 192.168.1.254

2) maybe the default gateway isn't correct? whenever I have set up repeaters they don't have their own IP, they just repeat the original router settings. So I am thinking that if you are hitting the repeater web interface instead of the default gateways web interface, that something must be tuned incorrectly m. if that makes sense that is. I just re-read it and kind of confused myself [emoji14]

1) maybe the dishnetwork box has a hard coded default gateway (192.168.1.1 for example) but from the image I see the gateway is 192.168.1.254

Interesting observation. I thought the .254 address was something special, but I may be confusing that with the broadcast address. (.255)

I have an edge device (running pfSsense) that is my router and two WiFi routers configured as access points (no DNS, no DHCP, no firewall - those functions are provided by the pfSense router.) All gateway settings on my LAN are .1 addresses.

(I just looked it up. There is nothing special about .254. .0 and .255 are special and .1 is often used for the router.)

yep. nothing special that I know of about .254, I was just speculating that maybe the disknetwork device thinks that DHCP and default gateway must reside at a predefined (and more generic) location like 192.168.1.1. In other words perhaps that box was designed with a static IP. Of course if OP has always used these exact settings on his gateway then that theory is moot.

as for a DHCP problem... the only thing I know to do is power cycle the router that the server is running on. And perhaps resetting the data and letting DHCP pass out addresses again. Those with advanced routers or Pfsense configurations may have other options for dealing with DHCP.

I scrapped the addition of the extra router setup. Never really got it to work. For the record everything connected to the TPlink repeater would work on the Ethernet ports except the dishnetwork receiver. I got a wireless adapter for the dishnetwork junk box and connected wireless. It works now connected to the repeater on 5 ghz. I don't know why the dish box won't work with the gigabit ports on the TPlink repeater but the other devices do. The DHCP is controlled by my ATT modem/router and the repeater gets its IP address and the address of the devices connected to it from the ATT modem/router over my wireless. The gateway for the ATT is 192.168.1.254 and my DHCP range is 64 to 253. So all is working with just the new repeater and the dish box connected wireless.

I don't know why the dish box won't work with the gigabit ports on the TPlink repeater but the other devices do. .

can you check what kind of IP config your dishbox have when connected to the gi port? Check your dishbox manua for ethernet port setting - maybe factory reset? have you tried to connect to Modem?

Agreed with HankB, diagram would be helpful. I'm on second aspirin now :)

Back