• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Startup Dual Boot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exiler

K, to start from the beginning, I have:

C Drive: Win98SE (FAT32)
D Drive: Data files (FAT32)
E Drive Win2K SP2 (FAT32)

Dual Boot

K, I finally got Drive Image 4.0 from Powerquest and from the demo it looked like it could do it all, well it didnt.

After I got it and tested it out, I made an Image of E drive and then saved it in Drive D and then decided to test out its ability.

Well it screwed it up and was flashing after booting into W2K, I called Powerquest and they told me what to do:

http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id1811.html

I followed everything and repaired everything.

BUT now when I boot, I get 3 option:

Win98SE
Win2K Professional
Windows 2000 (default)

Well the "Windows 2000 (default)" was left behind by the repair I had to do, and gave me error when I tried it, I went to C drive deleted all the $12io$ kind of directory which W2K made during the repair.

Which is all fine, BUT I cant seem to get rid of that damm "Windows 2000 (default)" when I boot up.

I even cleaned up my boot.ini to:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
[Operating Systems]
C:\ = "Windows 98 Second Edition"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

And it still shows the 3rd option.

Does anyone know what to do to clear it out for good?

Btw, Win98Se and Win2K works fine now.
Just the stupid 3rd option I dont like

try control panel/system/Advanced/startup and recovery and under system startup make sure that u have selected a default system either your w2k or 98-this might be your problem

ddoing that should also modify your boot.ini file to add a default entry

mine looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect /SOS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It worked, I changed from Win98SE to Windows 2000 Professional as the default and
when I rebooted the Windows2000 (Default) was gone.

Now its all back to normal.

Thanx a lot.

Back