• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$189 500GB seagate drive at Fry's (good deal?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
as posted in their ad (Renton, WA) good until 5/16.

500GB Seagate IDE drive, 7200rpm/8mb (maybe 16mb too?) 5 year warranty, retail box.

This a good deal? I know Maxtor 200s can be had for $50-70 on a regular basis and occasionaly down to $30

An OEM version @ Newegg for $298.99

Looks like you'll save around $100+. Pretty nice deal, but 500gb hds are still too much for me.

beavismorpheus said:
this would be the ultimate xbox hard drive
Lol i feel you on that one. I modded my Xbox new case and xbox media center and put a 320gb hard drive in there.

^^^ People went crazy for the SATA drive. I saw a 500gb sata for 200 on slick deals and it was gone the same day. Id go for one if it was closer to 150.

beavismorpheus said:
^^^ People went crazy for the SATA drive. I saw a 500gb sata for 200 on slick deals and it was gone the same day. Id go for one if it was closer to 150.
Thats 40cents a gig , of course thats a sweet deal, I mean not to mention its the biggest drive out now , and honestly , who here cant fill a 500 gig hd ?
Sata's are about 45-50 cents a gig , on average . IDE , who cares , they are only getting cheaper .

silent bob said:
Thats 40cents a gig , of course thats a sweet deal, I mean not to mention its the biggest drive out now , and honestly , who here cant fill a 500 gig hd ?
Sata's are about 45-50 cents a gig , on average . IDE , who cares , they are only getting cheaper .
I am pretty close to filling it. I will rip all of my DVDs and CD and use it in a HTPC. I have about 100gigs of movies now and probably 50 movies more to rip. not even gonna mention the CD/mp3 collection.

stompah said:
as posted in their ad (Renton, WA) good until 5/16.

500GB Seagate IDE drive, 7200rpm/8mb (maybe 16mb too?) 5 year warranty, retail box.

This a good deal? I know Maxtor 200s can be had for $50-70 on a regular basis and occasionaly down to $30

An OEM version @ Newegg for $298.99

The 16mb ones were regular price. I bought one of the ones that is on sale :D

This ad could be interpreted as including 16mb buffer. there is no indicator of 16mb buffer being on sale or being full price. Do note the item #.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 145
stompah said:
This ad could be interpreted as including 16mb buffer. there is no indicator of 16mb buffer being on sale or being full price. Do note the item #.

the drive included in this deal has 8mb buffer (it clearly states it in the brief specs)... so big ymmv on getting a 16mb drive for the price in the ad.

Back