• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just got a galactor 2, do i need a shim

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did not need one on my Glaciator II and I have not seen many people mention using them.

The clip is pretty easy to use so you should not have to apply tons of force to get that thing on there.

Just be careful and don't force anything.

yes but they do raise temps, if your careful them you should not chip a chip. I have a Glaciator on my 1.33 at well just look, and i use no shim, my room is 75+ f and i never have temp probs, also case has not intake, the glac does a PHAT job

do u use a thermal paste like ASII

i currently have a thermalright sk6 and my MB says the cpu is at 50c

thats with an SK6 (delta 7000rpm)with ASII and the case is open on both sides

That SK6 should keep it cooler than that.

Are you sure that is is seated on the CPU core properly. Poor contact can cause high temps like that.

ASII or a similar thermal paste is a MUST. Even the cheaper Radio Shack stuff will do in a pinch.

im using asII , i dont think i used enough on the core as some of the text was still visable.

ill reinstall the cpu paste and sink.

thankx

I have a Glaciator 2 which has been fitted and removed several times and as previous stated elsewhere in this thread the clip is of great design and easy to use and as such a shim is not required

Your SK-6 should be more than enough to cool the chip, I`m running an overclocked T-Bird 900 @1066Mhz 133FSB (Highest I can get it) with a SK-6 and 60mm delta 7200rpm screamer. After 2 hours of gaming (Unreal tournement, Quake3) CPU never goes above 37oC. The system is cooled by 2x 120mm fans, 1x 60mm fan and a system ehauster under the graphics card, it stays around 26-28oC. Heat tranfer paste is Arctic Silver.

:burn:

oc jason said:
yes but they do raise temps, if your careful them you should not chip a chip. I have a Glaciator on my 1.33 at well just look, and i use no shim, my room is 75+ f and i never have temp probs, also case has not intake, the glac does a PHAT job

cleaned out all fans/PS/ HS from all the dust that was in them, and relapped HS, and reapplied AS2.

HEHE now im at 1607 1.85vcore, and 43c load after 4 hours or seti

USING NO SHIM

Back