• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 360 Console Still Same Old Sluggish Gameplay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

My mate 2 days ago exchanged his launch version of the console for a newer 1 after it marked his Oblivion with a ring. He called up GAME/EB and they asked him to bring it in for an exchange as you do.

Now he bought a 2nd hand copy of Oblivion and the game disc is in good working order. Now when playing it the game still does it's awful lag sometimes worse than what the last console did. And a new feature say I swing my sword/axe at a wolf/lion whatever I'll kill it and the sound from me attacking and the wolf/lion hitting me. Will come after I have killed it about 5 sec sound lag and the console has only been on for 30mins.

I've read that the creators are working on a patch for the 360 version can anyone confirm this. But until then I'm thinking of staying away from it cause for a next-gen system that's not good enough people.

Yes they are working on a patch for Oblivion but its a gameplay patch. Fixing quests and such.

As RD pointed you to turns into a discussion of heat related issues. Try and see if you can cool it down some by adding some fans around it possbley at least to see if that helps you out.

I do that clear thing everytime I boot up sometimes I don't think that works and how do you know when it has. Watching the loading bar zoom across means nothing really as it'll just fill up the cache after 1hr of play.

This is your second one that does this? How about posting a picture where this thing AND the power brick is ACTAULLY sitting. I'm having suspicions.

His power pack has 2 small boxes at each end so it's slightly off the ground and air can get underneth it also has a small fan blowing at it but it never gets hot even with the fan off.

I've now told him to aim the fan at the console see what that does? Give a day for me to report back here. As I'm currently on night shift at work and am totally tired to play games.

AngelfireUk83 said:
I do that clear thing everytime I boot up sometimes I don't think that works and how do you know when it has. Watching the loading bar zoom across means nothing really as it'll just fill up the cache after 1hr of play.

Oblivion ran well for me till one day I booted it up and it was loading every few steps I took. So I rebooted and did the A button thing and it was fine.

If you are getting lots of loads its probably the cache, otherwise its something else.

ps it doesn't cause problems when the cache loads up again. Its more a a cummulative effect that takes a while to screw the cache up.

OC Noob said:
Oblivion ran well for me till one day I booted it up and it was loading every few steps I took. So I rebooted and did the A button thing and it was fine.

If you are getting lots of loads its probably the cache, otherwise its something else.

ps it doesn't cause problems when the cache loads up again. Its more a a cummulative effect that takes a while to screw the cache up.

Same experience here.

i find the 360 to run all of it's games pretty bad with the exception of cod2, doa 4 and the outfit(i havnt played that many games for it though)

quake 4, cod2, oblivion, nba live '06, the outfit, doa 4 and that's it i think

jmt391 said:
i find the 360 to run all of it's games pretty bad with the exception of cod2, doa 4 and the outfit(i havnt played that many games for it though)

quake 4, cod2, oblivion, nba live '06, the outfit, doa 4 and that's it i think

I haven't found a single game that runs bad and I have or have played
Fight Night Rd3, Madden, NBA2k6, DOA, Oblivion, NBA Live, Quake4, Rumble Roses, PGR...not to mention the original games that play on the 360 :shrug:

Like here's another problem after completing another daidra quest (how you spell them I don't care). It was for someone called Calvarious Vale or whatever where I had to get a soul eating sword. I went to the dungeon killed the woman and retrieved the sword.

The shrines dog like pet started talking to me saying I shouldn't hand it over so I decided to keep the sword and defi the shrine lord. As soon as it said quest completed the game froze.

I tried it 3 times and it froze up I cleared the HDD cache the console was warm but not as hot as is used too. Now that we have a fan aiming at it I tell you the game is rushed in my eyes for the 360. So to see if it was of the old dodgy 360 & if it's corrupted the files on his HDD we've deleted all the profiles and started new 1's.

All that time and effort all those locations found for what a stupid game that crashes when either the console gets hot. Or some stupid bug that's in the game it's self.

I haven't done that quest but my only Oblivion problem was solved by learning how to clear the cache. One of the below is happening here:
1. You're full of crap and lying because you enjoy hating on the 360/MS
2. Your pal/you are abusing your 360 or have it in a lot location
3. You've got some of the worst luck in the world

I sincerely hope it's #3, but if anyone is Shleprock it's usually me and mine has been trouble free.

*Ahhhhhhh I ought to be a poet ;)

I just put my 360 and the power brick inside of a closed box, played Oblivion for 4 hours, and it still has yet to even hiccup. I then played 2-3 of PGR3, still nothing wrong. I played Halo 2, nothing. Quake 4, nothing. Even Marble Blast Ultra, after all of this, didn't freeze.

You must be blowing heat on to your system or something. Either that, or my system is invulnerable to heat :bday:

AngelfireUk83 said:
Like here's another problem after completing another daidra quest (how you spell them I don't care). It was for someone called Calvarious Vale or whatever where I had to get a soul eating sword. I went to the dungeon killed the woman and retrieved the sword.

The shrines dog like pet started talking to me saying I shouldn't hand it over so I decided to keep the sword and defi the shrine lord. As soon as it said quest completed the game froze.

I tried it 3 times and it froze up I cleared the HDD cache the console was warm but not as hot as is used too. Now that we have a fan aiming at it I tell you the game is rushed in my eyes for the 360. So to see if it was of the old dodgy 360 & if it's corrupted the files on his HDD we've deleted all the profiles and started new 1's.

All that time and effort all those locations found for what a stupid game that crashes when either the console gets hot. Or some stupid bug that's in the game it's self.

You must have some bad luck. Theres certainly going to be problems and it looks like you/your friend have encountered some severe ones. The 360 version is about 1000 times more stable then the PC version, but its far from perfect. The best thing to do is start from an earlier save and try again or check some high traffic Oblivion forums because there are certain events that can cause fatal problems like these and they can probably tell you what is causing it.

I wouldn't worry about his unit, it sounds like game bugs that you have encountered and like I said, they can be due to doing certain quests or actions at cetain times or certain ways.

The umbra quest is also bugged. If you start the quest you can't get the sword. I also read there is a conversation with a NPC that will freeze the 360. Though that was some random forum, and I havn't seen it proven.

That's the quest I've mentioned above you offer the shrine 500 gold (must be lv20 or above) he then talks to you. He wants a sword called Umbra and send you off to this local village.

If you fast travel there you get someone talking to you it's the dog shrine figure which is stood next to the main god. He says not to give the sword to his master and just walk away after talking to the local man of the village.

He tells you where this woman hunter who has the sword is, from what it sounds the woman has been taken over by the sword. As he mentioned that she now calls herself Umbra apparently she also 1 of the hardest NPC's in the game to fight.

I didn't even talk to her I just fired 1 arrow from my custom created bow called Infernal Suffering basically has 35pt on fire, 100% weakness to fire & 7 pts health drain. She also has a full Ebony armor set which is all blank for you to customize. I picked up the sword the voice of his dog came back I went to the shrine refused to give him it as soon as the quest ended it froze.

Back