• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you think of this $20 case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156011

I'm actually thinking of using it for my next gaming computer (conroe, ati 1900, 1 raptor). My plan is to cut out the "swiss cheese" where the 80mm fans mount in the back. The same for the fron panel, which comes with a 120mm or two 80mm from what I understand (actually, from one of the pics it looks like you can mount 4 80mm fans up front!).

Ever since I got this antec slk-3000, I don't think I will buy an expensive case again.

What do you guys think?

Oh, was thinking of using these guys: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa80br.html

I'm stunned your not happy with the slk-3000b its one of the best cases I have ever used, that and you thing an 60$ case is expensive. Personally I think its a POS. But to each his own I guess. If your modding it then it should be perfect no regrets if you screw it up

Oh, i'm sorry my words came out wrong. I have used a variety of nice aluminum cases (lian li pc-v1100, coolermaster wavemaster) in the past. A few weeks ago I bought a slk-3000 for my computer and I absolutely love it. Cooling, space and quality is excellent. :thup: I meant to say it is my new favorite and it made me realize you don't need to spend a lot of money to be totally satisfied.

IKIKUINTHENUTZ said:
Im not so sure about your preferances on cases but i think this will do well as a gamming rig at a low price of 20$ also (clearance)

http://www.svc.com/cs901bk.html

I did see that around. My beef with it is the single 80mm fan near the cpu. There just aren't enough fan mounting points for exhaust fans from the cpu heatsink. I've found that getting the hot air from the cpu heatsink out of the case as fast as possible is crucial to good temps.

looks alright to me.

Remove the rear fan grills and mod the front for a 120mm fan, and it will breathe very well.

I've built my share of rigs with sub 20$ cases, and after modding them for good airflow, they operated just fine. And if youlike the way it looks, then I say go for it.

the case at svc has alot of good modding points

from the looks of it, i think you can cut another hole under existing to make dual 80mm exaust fans like the raidmax and like hondo said, mod the front and 120mm may be possible.

You can make a top blowhole for extra cooling

Im a firm beleiver in the expression " You get what you pay for ".. That case would probally be good for a family member or a second workstation or something like that, however I would never use it for a main rig. Especially if I OC.

I am a major fan of cheap cases. As it looks to be for a gaming rig, possibly for LANs? Cheap cases are a must if you frequent enough events.

Im learning this out the hard way, my Lian-Li is taking a beating. :-/

get that logysis

full tower, tool-less, removable mobo tray, modding potential(seriously, i already have tons of ideas for it)

i bought a $60 aspire case and while I'm extremely happy with it(for the most part) I wish i wouldve gotten something like that logysis and modded the living hell out of it. 20 bucks too

Yes cheap cases are excellent!

I believe the formula is:

cheap case + saber saw = 3 to 5 120mm holes.

I bought a cheap case and cut 4 120mm holes in it. 2 are in the front, 1 in rear, and 1 in side. I then added 4 1600-rpm fans and no matter how much I tax this system the case temperature is usually the same as the room temperature. This mod greatly reduced my VGA, hard drives, and CPU temperatures under a load and has also greatly reduced the noise level. No fans in my case emit more than 20 decibels of noise even at full RPM.

My dorky friend Jeppo has to have an "ultra cool" 175.00-dollar name brand case. After that he buys 6 or 8 92mm of the most “ultra cool” noisiest 100 cubic feet a minute fans he find. In the end he has spent nearly 300.00 dollars on the case alone... He often wonders why I can afford better video cards than he can... :\/

The best part of the cheap case modification is that if you buy quality 1600-2000 rpm fans you can barely hear them running, especially if your motherboard will adjust the rpm according to temperatures. The loudest components on all my computers are the hard drives. While the WD raptors do make some noise, my other computer has Seagate Barracudas and I can even hear those run, that's quiet!

My next case mod:

kustomkoolmeisterkase.jpg

bolillo_loco said:
Yes cheap cases are excellent!

I believe the formula is:

cheap case + saber saw = 3 to 5 120mm holes.

I bought a cheap case and cut 4 120mm holes in it. 2 are in the front, 1 in rear, and 1 in side. I then added 4 1600-rpm fans and no matter how much I tax this system the case temperature is usually the same as the room temperature. This mod greatly reduced my VGA, hard drives, and CPU temperatures under a load and has also greatly reduced the noise level. No fans in my case emit more than 20 decibels of noise even at full RPM.

My dorky friend Jeppo has to have an "ultra cool" 175.00-dollar name brand case. After that he buys 6 or 8 92mm of the most “ultra cool” noisiest 100 cubic feet a minute fans he find. In the end he has spent nearly 300.00 dollars on the case alone... He often wonders why I can afford better video cards than he can... :\/

The best part of the cheap case modification is that if you buy quality 1600-2000 rpm fans you can barely hear them running, especially if your motherboard will adjust the rpm according to temperatures. The loudest components on all my computers are the hard drives. While the WD raptors do make some noise, my other computer has Seagate Barracudas and I can even hear those run, that's quiet!

My next case mod:

kustomkoolmeisterkase.jpg
Haha, nice! Can that baby fly too?

Back