• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please suggest a new CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steveeb

Check out my signature for my current setup.

Summer months are coming and the weather will be heating up. Last year, I had a heck of a time trying to keep this thing cool. It was overclocked to 3.5GHz and was hitting temps in the upper 50's C.

In the passed, I've tried my setup with a P4 640 and that was a much better OCer and at lower temps - I had it up over 4GHz with temps lower than my 820 at 3.5.

Anyhow, I've been out of the CPU loop for a while, and I've heard a lot about this new "Conroe" and what not. My question is: given my setup, what would be a good CPU that would give me good overclocks and that would not overheat. I only have air cooling, but I do have a Delta TFB (220cfm) that I whip out when it get's way too hot.

if you just want a CPU to tide you over, i would grab a 805. they are dirt cheap, should do better than your 820, and shoud put out less heat too.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
if you just want a CPU to tide you over, i would grab a 805. they are dirt cheap, should do better than your 820, and shoud put out less heat too.

And I beg to differ with you on this. :) The 805 is the same Smithfield core as the 820, just set to run on a 533 fsb instead of an 800 fsb and clocked at 2667 MHz instead of 2800 MHz. Intel had to figure out some way to sell all those Smithfield cores that weren't moving too well. ;)

As for what cpu to try instead of your 820, steveeb, I really can't give you sound advice as I have stayed away from the Intel LGA775 furnaces they have been putting out. But maybe a 920 or 930 might run a little cooler for you, if you want to stay dual core.

i swear i've read accounts of 805's running cooler. are they not refined at all compared to the run of the mill 820? am i imagining things? :p

still, i think the 805 wins on price. plus the lower multi takes mobo related high fsb problems out of the equation. 3.8-4.2ghz is a realistic goal on one of these chips, from what i've read.

Actually the 805 has a higher multiplier than the 820. Since the 805 runs on a quad pumped 133 fsb (133.33 X 4=533), the 805 has a 20 multiplier for 2667 MHz. The 820 runs on a quad pumped 200 fsb (200 X 4=800), the 820 has a 14 multiplier for 2800 MHz. And no, the 805 has the exact same core as the other 8xx series of dual core procs. The lower temps you seem to remember might be due to it running at a slower speed at stock speeds. :)

HAH! just reread my post, and i completely mistyped.

i meant the lower FSB not MULTI :bang head

thanks for setting me straight ;)

Back