• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little expensive boxes that output different video signals, what are those called?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

Little expensive boxes that output different video signals, what are those called?

I sort of need to buy a new TV and one year ago I did a lot of reading about CRT, LCD, and DLP technology, and finally decided that unless I knew those technologies like the back of my hand, the only other way I'm going to be able to make the correct choice for a TV is if I am able to actually try them out the way I need to. That is to say, I'd like to be able to display different types of images and different signals to TVs that are on display in stores like best buy and circuit city. I'd like to see how every different resolution looks like on them, see how well dithering looks on different LCDs, etc. The only feasible way I could do this is by purchasing one of those little boxes that professional TV people ( :beer: ) use when repairing TVs, or doing a professional install of a home theater system. But there are a few problems.

1: I'm not sure what those things are called

2: I'm afraid they are going to be very expensive, like 300-5,000 dollars.

3: As I'm sure there are going to be several different types with a HUDGE price range similar to something like I said above, I'm not sure what the differences in all of them would be.

If anyone can give me any information about these things, that would be very helpful.

Thanks! :D

1) it might sound a little simple, but they are called

Video Splitters

the other component you are reffering to that changes the signal output, is called a Video Scaler.

After what you described, I envision +50 monitors/displays. 2-3K wouldn't be an unreasonable number to expect. Research is the only thing I can advise here.

noxqzs said:
1) it might sound a little simple, but they are called

Video Splitters

the other component you are reffering to that changes the signal output, is called a Video Scaler.

After what you described, I envision +50 monitors/displays. 2-3K wouldn't be an unreasonable number to expect. Research is the only thing I can advise here.

holy crap, I really can't describe things well :beer: I really thought I described it well, but you aren't the first person to get a different picture then what I'm thinking of. Another person (on another forum) thought I was talking about a KVM switch. I thought it was just him, but I guess I didn't describe it well at all :(

Actually what I'm talking about generates it's own video signals for testing purposes. It outputs to several different means by which video can be transferred. Component, VGA, DVI, composite, etc. My plan is to use it to test out all the displays in stores one at a time. The main reason I want to do this is because I've seen some CRT displays that say they output 1080i, but when I pump a 1080i signal to them, with very small text, I find that the text is not legible in certain areas of the screen. I just want to make sure the display I buy will display high resolution and low resolution beautifully.

I see what you mean. Unfortunately there aren't any devices capable of exactly what you are reffering to. The best suggestion would be to get a high quality pc or DVD with all the necessary outputs, and use a calibration CD/DVD. Many techs use the CD/DVDs to calibrate picture color and frequencies. They are not too expensive, and you can usually find basic ones wherever DVDs are sold.

i can tell you how to avoid needing such a device. Ignore LCD (too expensive, and low service life) and DLP (uber expensive)

Aperture Grile CRT is the way to go. Best color and contrast, longest service life, and pretty cheap too

Do you have a laptop? Or can borrow one? Get a S-video cable and VGA cable/DVI adapter. All new TV's should have at least one of those inputs. Then change your res on the laptop and see how it looks on the TV. You might need Powerstrip to test all the resolutions, since most laptops can't handle many res' by default.

[Corporal Dan] said:
i can tell you how to avoid needing such a device. Ignore LCD (too expensive, and low service life) and DLP (uber expensive)

Aperture Grile CRT is the way to go. Best color and contrast, longest service life, and pretty cheap too

I'm going to say you're wrong.

Avoid CRT, it's heavy and has the shortest life. CRT is susceptible to burn in, cannot display true non-interlaced signals (progressive scan signals) and has the lower picture quality. A typical CRT set will weigh well over 100lbs and be difficult to move. My LCD rear projection set weighs only 40 lbs.

Color wise, CRT is pretty vibrant has has good contrast. For a non-discerning eye, it might seem as bright as DLP in the store. Though, you will soon regret your decision.

LCD last forever and have no burn in. They don't last "forever", but a typical LCD panel will last 20 years running 8 hours a day before the color even begins to fade. LCD's are light weight and have no moving parts and pretty much cannot fail.

The only real complaint with LCD is the "screen door effect."

DLP screens look the best, have no burn in offer awesome bight color and contrast like CRT. They offer the sharp pictures like LCD and are light weight. They do not have a screen door effect. Some people might say (mostly true of older DLP sets) that DLP screens have a rainbow effect.

The only foreseable problem with DLP is that it uses a chip with millions of little mirrors that constantly move back and forth and a moving color wheel. Who knows the longjevity of such a device.

DLP sets and rear projection LCD sets (like one of my tvs) do use a light in the back to project the image on the front.

LCD comes in two types. LCD Panel and LCD rear projection.

Rear projection sets are very cost effective for screen size, quality, etc... However, the bulbs will burn out probably every two or so years. The bulbs are about $100-$200 depending on the set.

I have an LCD rear projection and a small LCD flat panel in my bedroom.

jeepguy_1980 said:
The only foreseable problem with DLP is that it uses a chip with millions of little mirrors that constantly move back and forth and a moving color wheel. Who knows the longjevity of such a device.

They do go bad, go bad often, and are expensive to replace. So make sure you get the service plan. Highend models have less of a problem though, its the cheap ones you hav to worry about. Surprisingly, Samsung is one to avoid.

Also, if something does break in these thing, expect to be without your TV for a month, as it's hard to get the parts and the TV techs are usually swamped.

I work with several TV techs so I have first hand knowledge of "big screens".

jeepguy_1980 said:
Avoid CRT, it's heavy and has the shortest life. CRT is susceptible to burn in, cannot display true non-interlaced signals (progressive scan signals) and has the lower picture quality.

Most difficult to adjust for close to the best picture quality.

They pretty much need a perfesional to adjust the picture in correctly, that would be the reason most people think they have poor picture quality.

i have seen all three.... i have 2 crt tv's in my house 32 and 20 and my friend has a 40some od inch lcd.... i also have a 62 inch Mitsubichi 1080P DLP tv.... i must say the DLP has by far supurior picuture quality. i hooked my computer through component video to the thing and the picure is Uphoric. its utterly amazing compared to all the other tv's i have listed above. I have tried my comp on the 32inch CRT with component and my friends 40incher LCD with component and the picutres were good buy no where near the brightness and contrast and clarity of the dlp..... DLP GETS MY VOTE....

as a side note the day i hooked my comp up to the 62inch tv, i also had 7.1 analog surround sound going to my YAMAHA HTR 5890... 980watt 7.1surround 150watt 10in sub 62inch DLP running in 1080i playing bf2.... it was sooo amazing, it made me feel so much better that day.. cus i was umm *sick* home from school :rolleyes:

damarble said:
They do go bad, go bad often, and are expensive to replace. So make sure you get the service plan. Highend models have less of a problem though, its the cheap ones you hav to worry about. Surprisingly, Samsung is one to avoid.

Also, if something does break in these thing, expect to be without your TV for a month, as it's hard to get the parts and the TV techs are usually swamped.

I work with several TV techs so I have first hand knowledge of "big screens".

What on them fails? People here use LCD monitors, which are the same technology. The only part that realy "fails" is the bulb on rear projection LCDs. It's designed to do so. It also is a 5 minute swap.

I don't think LCDs have a history of failures. There may be a lemon or two, as with each type of TV. LCDs will far out live any other type of TV.

BTW: My bedroom TV is a flat panel Samsung HDTV LCD, which is 3 years old. I have a Sony LCD rear projection TV in my living room (9 months old). Then of course I have a sony LCD Xbrite computer monitor (3 months old), a Sony Xbrite LCD laptop monitor (14 months old) and an LCD monitor on my old Dell laptop (4 years old).

All of my LCD panels have the same picture quality they did brand new.

LCD's are normally fine. It more often the projection tv's that have problems. It's usually random. Boards (and there's often quite a few, I've seen the inside of many a big screen) just randomly give out. Some people get lucky and get a TV that lasts, some don't. The problem is that QC has gone to hell as they try to make the TV's more affordable.

jeepguy_1980 said:
I'm going to say you're wrong.

Avoid CRT, it's heavy and has the shortest life. CRT is susceptible to burn in, cannot display true non-interlaced signals (progressive scan signals) and has the lower picture quality.

I didn't even read everything you said yet, but I'm going to have to stop you right there. Everyone knows that CRTs always have displayed the best quality images for several reasons. Also, what are you talking about when you say they have a short life span?! Where did you hear such a load? My parents, and grandparents have a few different TVs from the 70's and 80's that still work very well.

The only reason people are switching to flat is because CRTs are heavy, and they take to long to warm up. Those are the only disadvantages, but MAN are those big disadvantages, because even I switched to an LCD PC display. HOWEVER, that is because PCs output high resolution, so it isn't an issue.

Last edited:
soundfx4 said:
I didn't even read everything you said yet, but I'm going to have to stop you right there. Everyone knows that CRTs always have displayed the best quality images for several reasons.

The only reason people are switching to flat is because CRTs are heavy, and they take to long to warm up. Those are the only disadvantages, but MAN are those big disadvantages, because even I switched to an LCD PC display. HOWEVER, that is because PCs output high resolution, so it isn't an issue.

Everyone doesn't know that. DLP is much better than CRT and there aren't even DLP computer displays. CRTs are incapable of displaying sharp pictures, as can be verified by viewing text on big screen CRTs and they can't even display non-interlaced signals.

Their advantage of bright colors and contrast ratios has been equalled by DLPs.

And as for warm up time, that's my only complaint with my Tv. It takes a bit to warm up, longer than any CRT. It really sucks if you turn it off then back on real quick. Probably have to wait a minute +.

jeepguy_1980 said:
These are pretty expensive boxes that test set top box picture quality.

They only range in price from $6400 - $28,000

Link to expensive boxes

Seriously, if you want to talk to a group of knowledgeable people, check out HDTVoice

hah, I like the name of the link. :beer:

I will never understand why those stupid little things cost so much money, and I will never believe that those prices are actually justifiable. Chances are those boxes cost 500 bucks to make and the manufactures are just ripping people off because they are "professional" testing equipment :rolleyes: all manufactures do that and I have to say it pisses me off to no end, and the only way I would let it go is if someone was able to show me proof that those boxes actually cost thousands of dollars to make.

But anyway, I don't need anything quite like that :D

There are DVDs available that are used to calibrate and test PQ if you want to go that route. I have one, though it's a few years old. Check out HDTVoice for the most used DVD. They will probably meet your needs, if you're looking for a technical PQ measurment. Though, likely any DVD in your collection will satisfy your needs.

Don't be fooled by bight images. Make sure that when your shopping the rep sets the tv to "Pro mode" or something that's not vibrant. If you're testing it with a DVD, use a darker movie, not some bright Pixar movie.

That will give you a better indication of performance. The box stores usually set their TVs on really bright settings to sell them, but when you get home, you'll realize that this is not the best for viewing, it just makes them stand out.

jeepguy_1980 said:
Everyone doesn't know that. DLP is much better than CRT and there aren't even DLP computer displays. CRTs are incapable of displaying sharp pictures, as can be verified by viewing text on big screen CRTs and they can't even display non-interlaced signals.

Their advantage of bright colors and contrast ratios has been equalled by DLPs.

And as for warm up time, that's my only complaint with my Tv. It takes a bit to warm up, longer than any CRT. It really sucks if you turn it off then back on real quick. Probably have to wait a minute +.

But that's just not true at all. CRTs have a much better image quality. Why do you think all the pros use CRT computer displays? Almost all Photo shop professionals, and Video compositing pros prefer CRTs because the image quality is better. AND they can actually display low resolution images clearly UNLIKE all fixed resolution displays. I've done my homework on this, and I've already decided on CRT, I just need to find one that has a better picture then any of the others.

Also, the reason big screen CRT projectors can't display text clearly is because they are just standard displays. I'm talking about High-def tvs. HIGH-DEF. Ones that can display 1080 i and p.

Oh, and you are also wrong about CRT's not being able to display progressive images. Progressive means going strait from line 1 all the way down to the last line in an consecutive order. Computer displays are progressive, they don't use interlacing. The whole interlacing thing was started because when tvs were first invented, they couldn't scan all 580 lines fast enough, so they cut it in half. Did the odds first, and then went back in to fill the evens...or something like that. I don't know the details, but I'm pretty sure I'm right, or at least somewhat correct.

can someone else confirm this? I'm not sure about the progressive thing, but I think that is more or less correct.

Back