• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.4-3.7 in one key stroke wow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Squashky

Registered
I am amazed... my first time overclocking. I over clocked it 10% from 3.4-3.734 in one click IN aI booster. Thats the difference between and regular 3.4 and a EE.
sry but i am amazed. I am getting a new system soon and i am excited to OC it.

My Question is how do i know if it is stable at 3.7 or higher. It is a presscot.

it put it down to a 5% AT 3.578 with a FBS of 840 for now. Wow my fist overclock. I can see why so many people are hooked. THE FIRST OF MANY.
nvm i just did allittle more so now at 3628 with a a 853 FBS
are there tests for stability

you know there are, otherwise you wouldnt be asking. youre really just trying to brag.

preshhotts run hot like their name.. so just be careful.

to answer? YES there are any multitude of benchmarks and system stressors.

try:
sisoft sandra's burn-in
superpi
systool
prime95

or ANYTHING you can google with "pentium + stability test"
or
"p4 stability test"

for a quick idea of stability, i would use pcmark.

superpi 32m test is good as well.

the best test for stability remains prime95.

you should post your complete specs so people can more readily offer advice.

welcome to the forums, welcome to overclocking :beer: :beer:

*edit* Spade, the forums are a great way to help people on a personal level. no need to suggest google as the answer.

Spade said:
you know there are, otherwise you wouldnt be asking. youre really just trying to brag.

to answer? YES there are any multitude of benchmarks and system stressors.

try:
sisoft sandra's burn-in
superpi
systool
prime95

or ANYTHING you can google with "pentium + stability test"
or
"p4 stability test"

Bragging about wat a .3ghz overclock? IF you ask me compared to others that is small but for me that is huge being a beginner. so i was just asking how do i know if it is stable when i have never done this before. THanks for the advise i am going to download pcmark right now ...

Squashky said:
Bragging about wat a 3ghz overclock? IF you ask me compared to others that is small but for me that is huge being a beginner. so i was just asking how do i know if it is stable when i have never done this before. THanks for the advise i am going to download pcmark right now ...
What they have said is very good advice. Looping benchmarks is a very common way we test for stability. I personally prefer looping 3dmark01SE for 6 hours.

Prime 95 partisan here. It's a real helpful tool in the winter when you need to warm up your room and your parents won't let you turn up the heat. :santa:

Squashky said:
Bragging about wat a .3ghz overclock? IF you ask me compared to others that is small but for me that is huge being a beginner. so i was just asking how do i know if it is stable when i have never done this before. THanks for the advise i am going to download pcmark right now ...

ppffffht please. no one is trying to fault you here. you'll notice i gave encouragement as well as advice and help.
good job, but please don't play victim with me.
http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=&location=downandbuy&langx=en&a=
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/

Hey Squashky
Nice going, I started out like that too. Did a 5% overclock and thought , COOL :), need to find out more.
Overclocking from your bios will give you better results in the long run, more things to adjust but dont change anything unless you know what it is going to do. Ask first if you dont know. Dont worry about any attitude from anyone, take on the good advice, keep overclocking and have some fun.

thanks for the help again
i ran some of the tests as you guys/ maybe even girls?? advised and they seem to run fine so i think i will keep it there.... any higher i think my temps will burn my house down now it(45-48C idle and like 58 load) ....it already is an inferno heating up my room.

i have another question:
in the near future i will probably be getting a 940 system with better cooling then my current system so i can stretch the Clock speed alot more after the price drop.

I read some CPU's have unlocked multipliers and that means great overclock-ability. does the 940D have an unlocked multiplier, i hear if it does it makes it a good OC'er CPU.

Thanks

unlocked multis come on Engineering Samples or ES cpu's only (or on the XE's). you can find them on ebay, but they generally don't overclock more than retail chips.the unlocked multi is nice, but it is not the deciding factor in a succesful OC. i would go with a 930, i keep hearing they oc better than 940's though someone who knows first hand might want to chime in.

Some good air coolers are the Tuniq Tower by Sunbeamtech or Big Typhoon by Thermaltake.
Which Presler?, I have an unlocked multi so I've got to play around a bit with it, it all depends where YOU want your FSB to be. For me it is 333, cos I want 1:1 ratio of FSB speed to memory speed with my memory at 667. So memory speed will be 333 x 2 = 667(cos double data rate).CPU FSB will be 333 x 4 (cos quad pumped)= 1332. Notice they both have 333 base speed, that is the 1:1 bit. For example a 800fsb CPU such as Presler 940 has a base fsb speed of 200.
Now if I had a 950 my multi will be 17 so 333 x 17 = 5.6ghz. Not going to happen easily and not on air. So a 930 with a 15 multi, 333 x 15 = 4.9ghz but I would need water cooling. For GOOD air cooling a 920 would be a better choice 333 x 14 = 4.6ghz.
Now 333 is not easily acheivable so you have to consider that. 280fsb and 4.2 ghz is easily acheivable with most Preslers on good air cooling. I have an unlocked multi so if my clock speed is getting too high before I get to the FSB I want I can just change down a multi. You will not have that option with a retail version so make a good choice. Also you will need a good mobo to get very high fsb.
Hope that helps.

Spade said:

Actually the new series of precotts have improved and are no hotter than the earlier Northwoods.

Last edited:
Back