• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Gaming rig since 2010--Ryzen 3800x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Wow! I am amazed at the speed of this rig. The graphics are excellent with this Asus RTX 2080 Super OC!! My laptop of 4 yrs just gave up the ghost last month and it forced me to upgrade! heh...I really like the word UPGRADE! The only game I currently play is Fallout 76 and it looks amazing! I have been a Geforce Now beta tester for over a year and I thought that looked good! This rig is the best rig I have ever owned.

pc5.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

My CPU.... pc7.jpg

I first tryed the AMD 5700-XT and quickly sent it back. In my opinion it was not powerful enough for my gaming needs. It chugged framed way too much

pc3.jpg

This is what it looks like now. I am very satisfied with it as it stands now with the Asus RTX 2080 Super pc1.jpg

My Specs :
Asus Strix X570-E
Asus RTX 2080 super OC
AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Corsair Dominator 3200Mhz 32Gb
Win 10 Home 64bit
Samsung EVO 970-Plus 1Tb
Corsair 1Kw RM1000 Gold PSU
Thermal Take V200 RGB Case

This rig is running of the mobos WiFi which is the Intel AX6 and I am very impressed with it so far.

Looks great, any particular reason you got the 3800x and not the 3700x?

Looks great, any particular reason you got the 3800x and not the 3700x?

Only cause I read they were better binned chips....MOAR IS BETTA~!

Just flashed my bios last night to the AMD hotfix release on the 12th due to the boost speed issues that have been reported. My boost max is 4525Mhz...so thats an extra 25Mhz? I have not OC'ed this chip yet. Im waiting to get a water cooling setup first.

Everytime I hear "overclock" these days, it makes me sad, because we no longer see 40% increases..:(
Peanuts..

krag, you will likely be disappointed in the overclock. People are saying there is just not much to gain by doing so with Zen 2. The extra cooling, however, will enable your CPU to stay in turbo more of the time.

Everytime I hear "overclock" these days, it makes me sad, because we no longer see 40% increases..:(
Peanuts..
From base clock to final overclock, the 9900k will do that... 3.6 -> 5 GHz is 39%.

But yes, overclocking past boost, on both camps, certainly isn't what it used to be.

From base clock to final overclock, the 9900k will do that... 3.6 -> 5 GHz is 39%.

But yes, overclocking past boost, on both camps, certainly isn't what it used to be.

Well if thats the case..then I won't accidentally smoke this chip thru OC'ing and won't force myself to accidentally upgrade to the 3950X ... LOL!

Edit...Although I could sell it in the classies when the 3950x comes out???

It's a $70 difference between 3700x and 3800x. I plan to go for the 3700x and use the $70 towards a NH-D15S.

Gotta ask though. You were getting to 4.5 with the stock cooler? The updated bios pushed it to 4.525, also on the stock cooler? Is this out of the box on PBO?

It's a $70 difference between 3700x and 3800x. I plan to go for the 3700x and use the $70 towards a NH-D15S.

Gotta ask though. You were getting to 4.5 with the stock cooler? The updated bios pushed it to 4.525, also on the stock cooler? Is this out of the box on PBO?

Yes, with the stock Prisim cooler from AMD. Here is a screenshot with my temps at idle with boost on..

Attachments

• screen1a.png
    screen1a.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 200
Back