• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next Gen GPU power :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Saw this one comin' a mile away. I dont see why people are suprised. Btw, the 300W one is the G80 (imagine a R580 with 24x1 pixel-pipe instead of 16 and you get the picture)

Ok Ati & Nvidia are pusing this too far, now when you buy a top end graphic card you will have to buy a new psu just for your graphic card. I think that is too much.

Just think about it.. If you wan Dx10 and high end graphics you will need a 1KW+ PSU.... WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention the increased electric cost :p

This IS getting pretty friggin' GHEY. Pretty soon, you'll have 2 friggin' cases 1 for your graphics mobo and one for your processor mobo. PSU's in each of course.

This is just getting dumb and reminds me of 3DFX.

I wouldn't worry to much guys, cause the first designs will be the only ones that are power hungry. Second revisons and so on will be reduced drastically as that will be the main goal for both ATI and Nvidia.

I agree, this is starting to get rediculous, especialy when you consider the fact that this will require power consumptions that exceed the circuit breaker capacity for many houses, 10A is what most houses have which is only 1150 watts, newer houses have 15A which is 1725 watts, and they are talking upwards of 1200 watts just for the computer, then you have your monitor (35-177 watts for a 17-30" LCD), speakers, and anything else also plugged into an outlet on that breaker.

Power consumption IS getting ridiculous. They may want to rethink their 1st gen design and work out all of the power hog problems before they hit the market with these. I just spend $120 on a new PSU. Now they want me to spend $150-$200 again on another one with double the current draw?? This is getting insane. 3Dfx does come to mind when reading this.

Maviryk said:
Hmm... why do I keep on thinking one of those extra 5.25 PSU's could be used to power TEC's.......
Well because they could be :D But the thought of using tecs with next gen graphic cards makes me shiver, such a high power consumption no way.

So was it the 580+-560 that were comming out in 2007 or was it the next gen stuff with the 580+- 560 comming in a few months?

This is getting ridiculous. First Nvidia comes out with the 6800 Ultra that was like the peak of GeForce 6 Series Technology. What did we get with the 6800 Ultra in SLI? An amazing gaming rig that counsumed a heck of a lot of power. Then ATI decides to roll out the X1900 which use an insane amount of power in Crossfire. Now they want to make it so power supplies are more than 1,000 watts?! :eek: At this rate we might as well as buy a generator or steal the Hoover Dam. Criminy, this is insane to the extreme.

Back