• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I Need x64 Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smerko

Registered
Hi, I am about to buy a new PC and have a question I am finding hard to get the answer for! Do I need to purchase Windows XP x64 Pro or just the regular Windows XP Pro/Home? I have read the sticky at the top of the page but am still not sure!

System spec's will be roughly...

Sansun 600W PSU in Blue with 13.5cm Blue LED fan - 20/24pin (no power cord)
Intel (BX80551PE2666FN) Pentium D 805 Dual Core 64 bit LGA 775 2 x 2.66 GHz 2MB (1 Mb per Core) Cache
Coolermaster Centurion 5 With Blue Trim - No PSU
Western Digital WD1500ADFD Raptor Sata 150GB 10kRPM 16MB Cache - Oem
Connect 3d X1800 GTO 256mb GDDR3 DVI-I VIVO PCI-E
LiteOn SHM-165P6S-09C 16x DVD±RW/RAM Int Black - OEM
Mitsumi OEM Black Internal Floppy Drive 1.44mb 3.5 Inch
Arctic Cooling (AC-FRZ-7P) Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 CPU Cooler
'X' DDR2 RAM (1-2GB)
'X' Motherboard to take above!

Any input would be appreciated! Many thanks :)

you want to stay as far from windows XP 64 as you can unless you have an aplication that REQUIRES it. Driver support is weak at best and nonexistant for most stuff.

ah right so most people with the 64bit processors are still using regular xp? thanks for the quick prely btw!

Using x64 and really like it . Probably the only two big problems are finding drivers for printers and Wifi cards . Things are improving alot on printer drivers , but not so much on Wifi drivers .
Application wise ...virus programs are few and far between for x64 . Avast (free version) does work xint in x64 !

www.planetamd64.com is a good place for more questions/answers to x64

Back