• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice with my first build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orgufiel

These are all the parts I'll be buying in the next few weeks. I also plan on upgrading to 2 video cards at one point. I will be using this rig for heavy rendering and possible video editing.

Case:Cooler Master RC-922M-KKN1-GP HAF 922M ATX Mid Tower Case (Black)
CPU:Intel Core i7-2600K Processor with 8 MB Cache, 3.40 GHz for Socket LGA1155 - Unlocked Boxed
GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card - Lifetime Warranty 01G-P3-1563-AR
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-950TX 950-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i7 and Core i5
Mobo:ASUS P8P67-M PRO LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 2200 Micro ATX Motherboard
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 12 GB ( 3 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i7 SDRAM CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9
HD: (2) Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS
Heatsink: Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 Hyper 212 Plus 775/1156/1366/AMD/AM2/AM3 Universal Direct Contact Heat-Pipe 120mm Fan CPU Cooler
CD/DVD Reader: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)
Fan Controller:AeroCool Touch2000 Fan Controller
Extras: ASUS USB-BT211 - USB Bluetooth 2.1 Adapter - EDR (3Mbps),NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion (Black),SATA Data Cable (2pk.) ,Syba SY-CAB40007 Molex 4 Pin to 2x 15 Pin SATA Power Cable (5.5 Inches)

I have a few questions for you guys.
1.Am I missing anything in terms of cables or anything else?
2. Will everything be compatible? I've read stuff about all of the parts but I just want to double and triple check before I go off spending money.
3. Will all 3 RAM's fit on the Mobo with this heatsink in, I read that there is a tight fight once you have the heatsink in.
4. Will the heatsink actually fit within the case since its a mid tower case.

1. You shouldnt need to buy any cables. Comes with the mobo.
2. Yes...outside of the memory, see #3.
3. P67 is DUAL CHANNEL memory, get 4x2GB if you think you need more than 4GB of memory (which I doubt). Also make it CL7 DDR3 1600.
4. Not sure.

What I would change outside the RAM is getting a MUCH lesser PSU. Even if you SLI, you could still get away with a 650W PSU. With that said, if you are not going to SLI, get a Corsair 550VX.

I have a computer with 8GB RAM at work and it runs "ok" but what I want something better than ok so I'm going up to 12GB. Any suggestions on memory that would hit 12gb? (and would still be able to be oc'ed)

Im sure ram isnt your problem unless you have multiple VM's, render, etc on the machine. Again, 12GB is overkill unless you actually do that kind of work. If the ram isnt being used, its not going to help.

So no, no way to get 12GB. You can however go 16GB (4x4GB), but again, dont do it, unless you know you are hitting the limit on 8GB already.

I work at an architecture firm and i'll be attending school for architecture so I will be doing that kind of work. But I see your point so is there a good 2x4gb pack for oc'ing. I want to have empty slots so I can just add another 4gb stick each time if I need it. I actually had another question pertaining to noise, do you think this thing would be crazy loud? I want something that's going to be as quiet as I can get it so should I change out some fans, if so to which?

You would want to upgrade your ram in pairs as its a DUAL CHANNEL setup. If you add one, it wont be in dual channel and you would lose performance.

I also wouldnt worry about overclocking the ram, even with your work. Any 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CAS7 kit will be fine.

The coolermaster case you selected has decent fans on it already, so I wouldnt expect that to be annoyingly loud. Besides, thats why you bought a fan controller...or at least I hope (to control fan speed and hence noise).

Those are also really slow drives, I would go with Blacks, as they're meant for performance. The Greens are just horribly slow..

Also, have you considered a SSD for your operating system?

Ouch! Nice catch Knu all around! +1 for Caviar black or an SSD + Caviar black for storage.

Why the 2600k (versus 2500k)? The performance differences in anything you do is minimal at best for the added cost...IMO.

Last edited:
Isn't the 'K' meant for an unlocked multi or is it to denote 2nd gen? I'm still pushing my i7-920 around... lol

a big +1 for the Blacks...

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification... as I'll be posting a silimar build to this... Just very small differences tho...

The 2500K can be pushed like the 2600K??? Minimal gains???

The real gain between the two is hyperthreading. Also, some people say that the 2600k actually clocks noticeably higher due to better binning, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Specifically for gaming, I would rather go with the 2500K.

Back