• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing out GPU Stock Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

I'm going to try replacing the stock fan in my 6800GT and I've got it off and want to remove the thermal goop they have on there and is pretty crusty, I used some 91% Rubbing Alcohol & Q-Tips to get some of it off but the rest is caked on their pretty good.

Was wondering of a safe method of getting it off? There is just a thin smuge in the centerish area and then some crusties around the outter tips/edges.

Thanks...

Drinkyoghurt said:
i usually just wipe it off with a cleenex. somethimes i moisten it

whatever this crap is it doesn't really just wipe off. Is almost like an mild adhesive and is on there good. I got some off carefully breaking some of it off with my finger nail but can't get the rest off with it I could probably get it off with a razor blade...lol but I ain't going to do that.lol

Mine was the same. I used clean water and dampened a shirt to do it. It took a little while, but I eventually got it all off, and put some AS5 on it :D

Vipersfate said:
Mine was the same. I used clean water and dampened a shirt to do it. It took a little while, but I eventually got it all off, and put some AS5 on it :D

I don't feel comfortable using water to clean it.lol But Rubbing Alcohol is something I've always used. Don't want to damage anything.lol But I'll try using a dampened cloth with some on it and try that Q-Tips just aren't touch enough for the job.

Use the alcohol, A tee shirt or cloth will work well, May take some elbow grease if it is really caked on, If you have a coffee filter use that for the final cleaning as it will not leave any lint on the core. Don't be afraid to saturate the cloth if the goop is really caked on, The alcohol will evaporate, Just give it a little time.

You can also use a dab of 100% Acetone. It will eat right through thermal interface material. Just don't get it anywhere but the goop. I use this anytime alcohol won't get everything, and I've never had any problems.

ScottinIndy said:
Use the alcohol, A tee shirt or cloth will work well, May take some elbow grease if it is really caked on, If you have a coffee filter use that for the final cleaning as it will not leave any lint on the core. Don't be afraid to saturate the cloth if the goop is really caked on, The alcohol will evaporate, Just give it a little time.

Nice coffee filters will ahve to remember that one, I think we have some b/c wife drinks coffee.

Well Wolverine, Sounds like you may have found your heat issue, Sounds like your old thermal compound had really broken down and run it's course, Hope everything works out well for you.

well I hope this is the issue...and I hope the new fan and goop I'm getting make a huge difference.

Anyhow this is all I have left on the GPU should I continue to try and get the rest off or should it be ok? If I have to get the rest off how? B/c it is really stuck on there.

Someone said googone this won't damage the GPU or PCB should some get on it? I don't wnat anything that will damage the card should there be an oops.lol

anyhow the goo on the top is thin though it looks thicker in he pick and on the sides it's also not to bad.

Attachments

• GPU Goo.JPG
    GPU Goo.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 97
You need it to be completely clean, So you still have some work to do, It is no wonder you were having heat issue's with your gpu. Nice to know that Gigabyte took it apart and inspected it when you sent it in isn't it! :mad:
You could try some of the other recommendations, I honestly have never had anything caked on that bad, I have alway been able to just use alcohol.

I would saturate a qtip with the alcohol and just kinda let it sit on there for awhile to try and break down that old TIM... repeat as needed to loosen that baked on crap... may take some time, as others have mentioned.
Really hope that the NV5 + Ceramique (that is what you orderd, yea? cant quite remember from other thread) solve your heat issues.

yeah the crap is caked on there good.lol but will try some more to get it off.lol

And yeah I think that is what I ordered too...can't remember just got up so still a little groggy...

Man I'm so ****ed with giga-byte, I just called them again and bitched them out again (but did it tackfully & without name callnig till the end) for not removing the HSF and cleaning it up and reapplying some goo, they where like all so you removed the HSF from your GPU, and I was like all yeah I was doing the job you idiots should have and the person replied you've voided your warranty thank you for calling but but your card is no longer covered, and pretty much rushed me off the phone.

OMG talk about crap service, and I'm pretty sure they either A) didn't test the card at all or B) tested inside a walk in freezer where the temps where well below freezing.lol

I mean come on there is no way in hell otherwise that the card would have worked with the current fan and such on there. Hell I'mnot sure it will work with the new fan & new goo but hey is workth a try.

Thanks all for the help everyone...I'm so eager to switch to EVGA like you wouldn't believe, I have several giga-byte boards and cards and I want to get rid of them all.lol

OMG what a pain in the arse...anyhow I've got almost all the crap off the top of the processor and a good portion off the sides but still a bit not sure I'll be able to get it off the sides as I can't really get any pressure on the sides. So does it have to come off the sides since the sides don't touch the Heatsink?

It should be O.K. as long as you get the top real well, Basically you just want to have your new thermal compund fill in any pits or crevices that exist on the GPU or the H.S. So the cleaner you can get it, The better contact and lower temps.

Yeah don't worry about the sides (Since they don't contact the heatsink).

By the way you mentioned fear of using water, but you use rubbing alcohol instead. FYI rubbing alcohol can have as much as 30% water by volume, lol.
4490722_200X150.jpg

IWasHungry said:
By the way you mentioned fear of using water, but you use rubbing alcohol instead. FYI rubbing alcohol can have as much as 30% water by volume, lol.
4490722_200X150.jpg

Yes I know this but I'm using 91% Alcohol so not as much water and it disapates fast especially if you use compressed air on it. But I ment using strait water.

after 3 days of working that crap off it's gone other than small amount on the sides...friday my new fan and goo come so I've got my fingures crossed...

Rubbing alcohol has oil in it to I believe. Some say just use ones labeled 'isopropyl alcohol', not ones labeled rubbing alcohol for that reason. The amount of oil in it shouldn't matter much if at all. I use that 'goof off' stuff or alcohol with old tshirts, seems to work well.

I assumed rubbing alcohol and isopropyl were the same hehe. My bottle says "70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol". And then looking at the ingredients it says... "70% Isopropyl Alcohol by volume. Also Contains: Water"
:)

Back