• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How's this for lapped?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brahmzy

Just spent the last hour lapping my brand new Ultra-120. All I need now is a friggin' E6600 to put it on. Gettin' tired of waitin'.
220,320,400,600,1000,1500 sandpaper and some polishing compound.
It's FLAT and SMOOTH. :) It looked great new until I started sanding it and found out just how not-flat it was.
u12014pc.jpg

u12029eo.jpg

Hipcrostino said:
hmm, i don't see the point of poishing seeing as it leaves a layer of stuff on the base, but arrr well what the hey. Looks cool though.

Come on now, the man has gotta show the bling bling for his sweat

Great job on that nickle plated copper, yea same here when i lap i dont use polishing compound because i think it leaves residue

btw will aluminum ever get that shiny :p :rolleyes:

my first lap job without a 1000 grit :cry: , imma order that cheap lapping kit SSS listed as a sticky long time ago

i learned how to crop pictures before knowing how to lap :D

Thanks yo's....:)

I thoroughly clean off any residue before shtickin' her on. I didn't crop 'cause I was lazy.

Aluminum can get about that shiny if its lapped correctly and if a polishing compound is used. When I first saw it I was amazed but then noticed he used polishing compound.

Iso will take care of resudue

For performance, Cathers experments left the surfase just dull for max performance.. heck I dont think the best temps went past 600 grit :shrug:

but it sure is pretty ;)

Do you have (or have the ability to produce) some graph paper reflection shots or a shot of it sitting on glass?

sneazing ten feet downdraft of a computer will affect your cpu temps more than having anything past 1000 grit.

Just some minor corner differences - well outside the contact area. I'll probably do a few passes on some 1500 before I mount it. I tried both ways on my XP-120 and it didn't make a defferences at all having it at 1500 or polished/cleaned. I wish I would have taken progress pictures just to show that what looks flat out of the box - ISN'T.
u12036yt.jpg

:drool: Awesome! Good job. Lots of effort put into that and you should be rewarded with the benches + temps to prove :thup: :clap:

WOW... that is simply amazing ver very nice job.... i usually go up to 2000 grit paper and get a pretty good finish... never have done polishing compound tho...

* look mommy this picture on the computer screen shows my reflection... son that is one well lapped and polished heat sink* :bday:

Back