• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

everything works, but no picture...Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gokukuhn

Registered
I just built a new computer and powered it on,
and everything seems to work, but the monitor doesnt recieve any input.
The monitor does works, its an old CRT plugged into my evga 7900gt KO with a VGA to DVI adapter.
The video card fan runs, and its seated properly.
What could be the problem? Have any suggestions?

No video signal is often a sign of something wrong with the CPU or memory. Verify your memory is seated properly. If that does not work try only one stick if you are running two.

Best thing to help narrow down the problem is to unplug all not essential devices (just leave the video card, memoryt and CPU - unplug all drives, sound card etc).

i tried only 1 stick of ram ( reseated it ) , pcu, and video card. I have also reseated the video card.
still no signal

using Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe.
could i try putting the video card into the 2nd PCI-E(x8) slot to see if it's the card or the motherboard ?

EDIT: Tried putting the card in the 2nd PCI-E slot, Didnt work.

Last edited:
If there is a system speaker either connected to or built into your motherboard, you should hear a post "beep" when the machine boots. Memory, video card and CPU failures all have unique "beep" codes to help you diagnose boot problems. Consult the manual for your motherboard for a glossary of "beep" codes specific to your motherboard.

I don't hear any beeps.

its the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe $150 motherboard.

Could the reason be my 7 yr old Philips CRT monitor can't interpret the signal or soemthing?

Everything on the card looks fine, no damage at all. Same for motherboard

gokukuhn said:
I don't hear any beeps.

its the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe $150 motherboard.

Could the reason be my 7 yr old Philips CRT monitor can't interpret the signal or soemthing?

Everything on the card looks fine, no damage at all. Same for motherboard

First, make sure that your system speaker is connected correctly, as you don't have an onboard one. If there are no beeps, I'd suspect the motherboard. Try booting without memory or cpu installed. You should get the appropriate beep code for each. If no beeps, then I'd RMA the motherboard.

strange as it sounds, i've seen bad DVI-VGA adapters as well as some older monitors act funny when plugged into newer video cards. I'd see if you can borrow a test monitor from someone else, LCD with DVI input would be a very good idea if possible.

i had speakers plugged into the "Front Speaker" port on the back,
tried starting it without ram, didn't hear any beeps. tried it without cpu, still no beeps, but it did turn itself off after 10 seconds.

hafa said:
First, make sure that your system speaker is connected correctly, as you don't have an onboard one. If there are no beeps, I'd suspect the motherboard. Try booting without memory or cpu installed. You should get the appropriate beep code for each. If no beeps, then I'd RMA the motherboard.

gokukuhn said:
i had speakers plugged into the "Front Speaker" port on the back,
tried starting it without ram, didn't hear any beeps. tried it without cpu, still no beeps, but it did turn itself off after 10 seconds.
hafa meant the speaker on or connected to your mobo. It should be a pair of wires, red and black, with a plug on the end that is 4 pins wide, and the two wires are on opposite ends of it, and the other end is connected to a small speaker, maybe in the front of your case, or it could be a little tiny speaker about twice the size of a pencil eraser with the same plug on the end as described above. It should plug in near where your power switch, reset, and lights plug it.

I see the 4 pins for Speaker on the motherboard, but I can't find any black and red wires with a 4 pin connector. My case is the Sunbeam Transformer .

Where would the CMOS reset jumper be? I can't find it on the board.

gokukuhn said:
I see the 4 pins for Speaker on the motherboard, but I can't find any black and red wires with a 4 pin connector. My case is the Sunbeam Transformer .

Where would the CMOS reset jumper be? I can't find it on the board.

Ok do you have the mobo manual? If so go through that and it will tell you where every jumper that you need to know where its at.

gokukuhn said:
I see the 4 pins for Speaker on the motherboard, but I can't find any black and red wires with a 4 pin connector. My case is the Sunbeam Transformer...

If your case does not have a system speaker, stop by your local computer shop and ask for one; they'll likely give you one for free, as they are ubiquitous on older cases which are slated for disposal.

I picked up a system speakre from a local shop for free , and there is one long beep followed by two short ones. according to the Emergency Faqs the beeps mean a video card error. So i tried my vid card on the 2nd PCI-E slot, and same thing. Should i RMA the vid card and mobo to be safe?

Last edited:
Back