• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worst Day Computing wise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

What is your worse day computing wise?

Mine is today.

Lets detail.

Dying motherboard (Asus in Sig), Dead Raptor (also in sig), and DOA Pump (also in sig)

To recap 1K worth of new parts, a usable computer for 2 Days.

I know I think Guatum has fried more parts and had a worse day. But seriously today just stinks.

This was many years ago but I once recieved a new Abit motherboard from hell that was a real peach. It fried 2 or 3 of my processors, and then when the vendor tested it, it fried one of his processors as well.

The vendor reinbursed me for all the damage, but it was a bummer day, but your day sounds worse.
twist.gif

wasnt really a day but over a week, but I had a 9700 Pro die, then my brand new athlon 2400 died because my heatsink fan stopped working during a game of bf1942. Then a few days later my roomate stole the entire computer, speakers, stereo ect. That week sucked

My first attempt at building a machine from scratch (for my sister) and realizing that I couldn't get it to work.
But thinking back it was a Socket 7 system and I think the parts were incompatible or one of them was defective. I was too inexperience to have been able to diagnose the problem. Especially since they were Socket 7 part which can be torture to get working correctly (multiple jumper sets anyone?). It wasn't until much later that I actually learned how to properly configure and build with Socket 7 hardware.

A close second would be the day I screwed up the BIOS flash of my first real machine and had to rewrite the image blind from the floppy drive. Most nerve-racking 15 minutes of my life waiting for that glorious triple-beep code that says "Congrats! You're not screwed after-all!".

That would have happen to be when our company's small business server finally croaked. It was running our print / file shares, networking support (DNS,DHCP, etc.), Exchange, and a few custom webapps. Since I was the only IT guy at the time, I had to get the system back up and running within 24 hours. Oh and did I mention that are backups were shot? Needless to say, it was not a fun 24 hours...

knocked over a full cup of tea that was sitting on the side of the case (which was open) kt8-master-2far based SMP opteron with two 500gb maxtors in raid 0 and 2 gig of ram... fizzed everything and lost my cup of tea at the same time (own stupid fault though, but it was not a good day)

Screwing up my motherboard somehow :rolleyes: . I had to use a painfully slow laptop for a week while I waited for a new motherboard. Even worse, it took a large chunk out of my savings to buy the thing.

AC repair guy(to use nice words) comes into the lab to work on our 120K BTU cooler. Doesn't ask what the Emergency Power Off switch goes to, just hits it. Unfortunately, it's not the AC, it's 4 full racks of servers and expansions. most of the servers recovered, one didn't. Of course, it was attached to 3 SCSI expansions and the DASD plane was shot on the server. 1.2TB of data(tape library was down), 2 hot swap expansion power supplies, one expansion controller module, 2 SCSI RAID controllers, one dead server and a whole lot of frustration later, I managed not to strangle the AC guy... though I was strongly tempted to tell him to go do some anatomically impossible tasks.

is that emergency power off switch under lock and key? there were no UPS units attached? four racks of servers down that sucks, i know the pain of having to reload several servers in a time crunch when you've got people breathing down your neck :(

That one is easy to remember.

A ViperJohn modded 9500>9700 Pro radeon from ebay. Fried: Asus A7v333, A7v600, and 2xa7n8x-x, as well as a power supply and ram. And the card was artifacting, so i threw it out :)

Back