• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enzf1

Hah ya a lil different type of question. But, I have a prescott*a.k.a HOT rig, heavily overclocked and juiced up with plenty of volts:beer: . As you can see having 95F+ temps with high humidity really doesnt make for a comfortable room. So my question to you is, what are some good silent pedistal fans to use around the room/home? AC is being pushed as far as my (Dads) wallet can go, theyve just decided it would be fun to DOUBLE our electicity costs, so ya I thought a lil airflow would help. Nothing to pricey, not to noisy but some decent fans that I can put around the house to get the air moving.

Thanks.

Pedistal fans ?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.

But I've used a few 'box' window fans successfully. They're usually on sale for around 10 bucks, or so, U$D, at the large chains, unless there's a run on them during a heat wave, when they go up to, maybe 15 - 20 bux, for the cheapest models.

FWIW, I've gotten around this problem by switching to H20 cooling. A big, somewhat expensive step, but a solid H20 cooling system will take just about any ambient you can throw at it. I recently had the aircon go out on a 95F weekend, & my main Prescott (sig) rig, which is in a westward facing upstairs room (heavy sun exposure) kept crunching distributed computing 24/7 w/o breaking 50*C.

Strat

Oh I have wc. But the same heat is still being dumped into the room,just makin it uncomfortable for me is all. I mean like pedestal fans, you know the ones that you put around the house? Sometimes oscillates?

^^^

Ahhh...gotcha.

I'm on aircon now, but have had good results using window box fans, when my AC was out, FWIW.

Stuck one in the window, & another in the room's doorway...had 'em either sucking in, or exhausting out, depending on the time of day. Worked reasonably well, IMHO.

Anyway...good luck.

Strat

I have a small air filter fan (about 120mm) sucking cold air from the AC vent lol. It works pretty good. I cant wait til winter again/

Back