• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD w/o Fluid Bearings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maviryk

I've a friend who lives in Michigan and is looking into integrating a PC into his car, but he needs to find a hard drive without fluid bearings so that it doesn't freeze during the wintoer. Any thoughts?

Other Concerns?

Maviryk said:
I've a friend who lives in Michigan and is looking into integrating a PC into his car, but he needs to find a hard drive without fluid bearings so that it doesn't freeze during the wintoer. Any thoughts?
If its cold enough to freeze the lubricant I think the the drive is going to have other problems. Basicly, once you turn the heat on and start to heat the car the internal parts of the hard drive are going to expand at different rates. In theory that might be enough to cause the heads to hit the platter or something like that. I would check around on some car audio forums to wee what people have done to get aroudn the problem.

vibrations are a much worse threat to the disk than bearings. How do you know it gets cold enough for the FDB to freeze. They're not made of water you know :)

I second the flashdrive approach for a car. If he can't go that route, he should at least only use notebook drives.

If he's from Michigan he should know what a battery blanket or block warmer is. That being said, my aunt has succesfully fired up her laptop after she left it outside in her car overnight. This was last winter up near Charlevoix when the ambient was in the single digits.

Back