• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help building a new inexpensive system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dizzyfun

Registered
Hi all. I am doing my homework for a new system i want to build. Any suggestions, help is appreciated. I am thinking of a first time OC project.

Asus P5P800SE (good reviews, good OC ability, can use my AGP card)
P4 805 CPU (looks great according to the THG article and cheap)

The question I have, is that since the CPU runs at 533 mhz fsb do I need to use PC2700 or is PC3200 usable? It looks like it is not usable but want some expert advise before purchasing new memory I don't need.

Would this be a good cheap option or should I just opt for the same MB and an 800mhz FSB CPU? Originally I was thinking about the 531 cuz it's only $140

OK before I can recommend you parts I need your total budget, when you want to build the system and what you are going to do with your system. Gaming, internet, word processing, etc.

The reason the 805 is recommended is exaclty because it "only" runs at 533FSB: you're supposed to run it at 800FSB and overclock it that way. An 805 at stock speed is not really impressive in any way shape or form. So you better buy the PC3200 RAM for this CPU.

As Shelnutt2 said however, better statue your intended use and your budget, otherwise no sound advice can be given.

Yes, any DDR RAM will work in that mobo. I would certainly recommend using PC3200 RAM so you can overclock that sucker.

first. thanks for the quick and sound advise.
second, the computer will need to be reliable as it is the family computer mostly used for internet and limited gaming.
For MB, CPU, and memory I was wanting to stay under $400

So since this is the family computer and needs to be reliable, should I reconsider this and use the same MB and just get an 820 CPU and call it good?

Since I only upgrade every 2-3 years I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck. (aren't we all though?)

FYI, I guess anything would be better than what I have now......no laughing ok??
Shuttle AV49N MB
Celeron 2.0 Ghz CPU
512 pc3200
GeForce 6200

Another consideration for CPU choice...

630-Single Core 3.0Ghz
820-Dual Core 2.8 Ghz but with no HT
The price is very close. Which one would you get?

Okay lets get some thigns out there. First Dual Core is better than any CPU with hyperthreading. if it was me I'd go with the 805. It can easily be Oced to the 820 levels.

Also it would really help us if you answer shellnuts question,

also :welcome:

He kindof answered the questions.. ~$400 budget for the CPU and Mobo..
And light gaming and internet (probibly some word prossessing and such thrown in there)

The mobo was a fine choice, but I have no clue what games you could play on the 6200 if its severly limited (for what you want to do with the machine in the next 2-3 years) then it might be wise to go with a PCI-E mobo and sell the AGP card :shrug:
805D :thup:
2 Gigs of ram :drool: would be nice (considering the time between now and the next upgrade)

okay sorry my bad, should have read closer

Okay for 400$. I would say chip, mobo and DDR2 maybe video
1GB of DDR2-4200 - 70$ Shipped - Newegg (cheapest around)
805 - 111$ Shipped - Zipzoomfly
Asus P5LD2 - 122$ Shipped - Zipzoomfly
Jaton 6600 256MB - 65$ Shipped - Newegg

The Board is a great ocer, and the video card has twice the pipes, so its better performance. Plus its some future proofing for future upgrades.

Another note. I don't know what cooling you plan to use. But with the switch to LGA775 (the intell socket for these chips) you need a new cooler. The Socket 478 (your current intel socket) cooler will not work

368$ Total

Last edited:
+1 for what Dicecca said. I agree, that would future proof the system much better. Although I'd be tempted to stretch the budget a little more and get a better vid card.

thanks so much!! i will consider the switch to a PCI-E MB.
The cooler I had planned on using is the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. Good enough for a dual core CPU?

If I get the P5LD2 board wouldn't I want to take advantage of the DDR2-667 and get the 5300 ram instead of the slower 4200?

You can get a nice 2 gig set PQI DDR2 with a rebate at newegg I think its 5300 or possibly a bit better :) Its not the only DDR2 set that the price is decent on now :D
The BT would be fine for a dual core.. I would try to dig up the extra $ for an Ultra-120 if it were me though, its really nice air :D

btw.. there is a edit button right beside the quote one on your posts, you can use that when you want to add something a little bit later ;)

There are better coolers than the Big Typhoon. If you go LGA775, make sure the heatsink you buy will fit that socket.

If you want DDR2-667 RAM, then certainly go for it if you can afford it or get it for a good price, although PC2-4200 will work fine with a 533 bus CPU too. Heck, I'm running PC2-4200 in my current rig (see "green" system in siggy).

ok, have decided against the agp based MB and am going to get with the times and get a PCI GPU. In the $50-$75 or so range, what would be the best choice? I was looking at the GeForce 7300GS but it didn't seem to get good reviews so am thinking about the 6600. Any other GPU's worth taking a look at?

Back