• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft: "no plans for a price drop this fall"(XBOX 360)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here is what they claim to be "confirmation" that there won't be a price drop:

"If you've been holding off ... wait no longer! ... [It] takes a mere $299 (US) to join the next generation ... You can add a hard drive and wireless controllers when you have a few extra bucks ... [This] holiday as some people go broke because they're forced to buy movie technology with their game console, you'll be choosing from a 160 games ... Pick one up on the way home from work ... You know you want to..."

Whatever..

why should they drop the price? PS3 will already be more expensive at launch, theres no pressure to lower the 360, especially with halo 3 launching at the same time.

Of course they are going to say they have no plans to drop the price. They'd be idiots to do otherwise. If they say they are gonig to drop the price they will lose sales from now until they drop it.

They'll say there won't be a drop but I believe they are going to drop the price around the time the PS3 comes out.

Disco_Stu said:
why should they drop the price? PS3 will already be more expensive at launch, theres no pressure to lower the 360, especially with halo 3 launching at the same time.

Because a console will sit at a price point and when the sales start to slow they drop the price to get all the buyers in lower tiers. They've probably sold about 5 million at this point, but there are TONS of people that won't buy till $250, $200, $150 etc. So its the natural progresion of the product.

Its not benificial to sit at a price point when sales start to slow, regardless of what is happening with competitiors. Now if sales don't slow or they pick up for some reason they have the option not to drop in price, but its better to plan on the drop and keep both options open.

That and it would be benificial to have something priced the same as the Wii and considering it has no hard drive or HD the core system fits the bill with a $50-100 (likely $50 to be at $250) price drop. The premium system will have to drop then too, but a lot of people are waiting for it to drop to buy anyway.

Anyone seen monthly sales for the core and premium systems?

Disco_Stu said:

Halo is not coming out until 2007 says Bungie.

In Buffalo this weekend I saw the premium 360 and a bunch of other junk bundled with it for $349. I was in a hurry so I didn't check it out too closely. I can't view their website at work because of the fun filters, but somebody can check it out I'm sure.

Why would Microsoft be broadcasting that a price drop will happen this early in the season? Becuase people would be waiting to buy it after the drop. Just another marketing ploy to get people to buy now. I still think there will be some sort of price drop, even if its only $50 or so.

Back