• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Verify! Hack or real? XP Update!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

KB does not exist, however Update is there

kb_913670.bmp

Get process explorer and find out from who that executable is, where its files are, etc. Then you will know.

Another way is to go to windowsupdate.com and see for yourself. If it's there, it's legit.

I'm not sure if the KB number matches but I did have the same update show up on an XP home machine. I didn't download it since I do not live in australia, though.

so clicking on the link in the window gives no info ?

i dont know of any new exploits that make you download windows updates.

Right, this is a legit window from the updates page, clicking the link brings up a page from microsoft.com saying this KB can not be found in the database.

Not sure, but a bunch of different KBs showed up for the same DL when I updated the other day, with a different KB for each language or country set.

I even checked at microsoft.com/downloads and didn't come up with anything even if I put KB at the front. I even searched my PC and came up with nout and I even have my security updates backed-up to DVD-R and I can't find it either on there.

Strange how it's come up even with a legit window but I would still avoid it also goto microsot.update.com

And do a manual scan see if it comes up in there if it does just expand the info box and tick "Do Not Show This Update".

It's real. Looks like you installed it the first time around and this changes it back. I remember getting this on an XP machine, set to EST, so no idea why I got it, but to suggest that someone hacked into microsoft and started sending out faulty updates is kinda far-fetched, honestly.

I know there are some that claim you should never install updates you don't need, but I have never, ever had an issue with any automatically downloaded update from windows update, so I doubt you will see any issues.

i got thast update too. It automatically installed for me, so far my computer is fine.....i think its real.

cw823 said:
I know there are some that claim you should never install updates you don't need, but I have never, ever had an issue with any automatically downloaded update from windows update, so I doubt you will see any issues.

same here.

cw823 said:
It's real. Looks like you installed it the first time around and this changes it back. I remember getting this on an XP machine, set to EST, so no idea why I got it, but to suggest that someone hacked into microsoft and started sending out faulty updates is kinda far-fetched, honestly.

Not to start a dispute, but several times I have DL'ed and installed MS updates and have them turn out faulty and bugger up my system. That has caused me to DL the updates individually, and install them one at a time, so I always know if and when a problem occurs with an update. Trusting MS to always release good stuff is a serious mistake.

Back